GENTLEMEN, IT'S BEEN A PRIVILEGE...

 



“The tree leaves die in fire,

and my people call it autumn.”

Zufishan Rahman, Foxfire – A book of Poem

 

This morning, I had called up a gentleman who lived in our neighbourhood. Some years ago, he was by my side when I needed it the most. What’s humbling was this: he had reached out to me even though I hadn’t asked him to!

For last one week or so, his elderly father and 40-year-old younger brother are battling Covid in a hospital. Today, during the course of our discussion, I expressed my guilt on not being able to reach out to him when he needed it the most. His response was simple and sincere: “Please do not worry about it; it’s perfectly understandable. It’s been a privilege, that they are in a hospital.”

While I was on this call, there was another person trying to call me. There were three missed-calls. So, I called back as soon as the call on hand had ended. This middle-aged woman, was calling to enquire about my and my family members' health… She enquired about my present financial situation. “How are you coping up? Please let me know if I can help you at this stage,” she said, “You had helped me when I needed it.”

I was touched by this gesture, and thanked the woman profusely.

There was also another call. This person had called to complain about his elderly mother who was under his care. It’s difficult for me to make him understand, that there were far worse problems outside… that, one had to learn to be more patient, tolerant and gracious. Yes, I was unable to make him understand, that it had been a privilege, that he, his wife, their children and the elderly mother were all safe under one roof, so far.

“What separates privilege from entitlement is gratitude,” says Brene Brown.

Should we read that again?





A couple of days ago, I overheard a heated argument my son was having, over the phone, with one of his close friends. It was right in the middle of a thrilling IPL match. I could quickly understand the issue: my son’s friend was vehemently arguing against the idea of holding IPL ‘spectacle’ at a time when horrible situation had gripped the nation. “It’s insensitive, irresponsible and ugly,” he was saying. My son, on the other hand, was trying to say, that it had provided millions of people something pleasant towards which they could divert their minds to. “It’s a lot better than the depressing onslaught of news and debates… It’s least harmless compared to the election and religious rallies etc.”

I moved away from that place, without waiting for the results – both, of the match and the argument!

These days, many people are busy forwarding this message:

“IPL 2021 is going to be remembered like the band

that kept playing while the Titanic sank!”

Was it right for that band to keep playing while the Titanic sank?

Well, the answer may be hidden in the song they played:






“Gentlemen, it’s been a privilege playing with you tonight!”

 

GERALD D’CUNHA

 

Pic's.: pixabay

 

Videoes: 1. Janie94  

               2. Andre Rieu

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...