THE EMPEROR HAS NO CLOTHES

 




“We all have a blind spot;

and it’s shaped exactly like us.”

Junot Diaz

 

I took some time to grasp the meaning of the quote mentioned above. Our blind spots are those flaws of ours which we are not able to see. I can hear you say this: “No. Blind spots are those flaws of ours which we are unwilling to see… Unwilling to accept.”

The above quote reminds us, that each of our blind spots is there in us, exactly how we  would want it to be there through our vanity. It takes real strength of our character – honesty, humility and innocence – to bring us to see, accept and take corrective action about our blind spots…

Vanity complicates this process, you see!

Some days ago, I was at a family gathering. It was a beautiful evening, with good food, singing and bonding. The party was almost over… Just before we were to leave, one of my sisters-in-law (who is known for her straight-forward attitude) yelled, “Hey, there is a hole in your sock!” Before I could look down, or hide my feet from everyone – let alone swallow my pride – I heard another gem from her: “We can play a game now… The person with a ‘hole in his socks’… The prize will go to you!”

By now, everyone in the gathering knew, that the Emperor had no clothes!

In the centuries-old fable, it took an innocent bystander child, to yell, “Hey, the Emperor has no clothes”… Here, it took my sister-in-law to yell, “Hey, there is a hole in your sock”…

Frankly, that was my favourite pair of socks… I would wear it, very often and very proudly. Never ever had anyone pointed to me the hole in the sock… Nor did I know for how long was I parading myself proudly…

This was my moment of ‘Hey, the Emperor has no clothes’…





Did I try to hide?

Yes, I did.

Did I try to swallow my pride?

Yes, I did.

Do I continue wearing the same – my favourite pair of socks?

No.

And, am I still angry with the one who had yelled, “Hey, there is a hole in your sock”?

Do you think so after reading this Post?

 

GERALD D’CUNHA

 

Pic.: pixabay

 

Video: Bedtime Stories Collection

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...