ANYONE WHO STOPS LEARNING IS OLD

 




“Learn as if you were to die tomorrow;

learn as if you were to live forever.”

Mahatma Gandhi

 


An hour ago, I was talking to my younger brother, Rony, over the phone. Rony, along with his wife, Meena and son Jeswin, have been living in Kuwait for several years. Just a few weeks ago, Jeswin moved to Malaysia to pursue his degree course. They have made arrangements in a rented apartment for Jeswin, who, presently, lives all alone in this apartment. “What about his food?” I asked Rony, this morning, “Does he know to cook?”

Rony laughed and asked, “Didn’t we learn to cook, Dattu*? He will learn.”

Times were different for every generation. My grandparents lived in their own time and they had to deal with their on struggles. The same for my parents, the same for us… and, the same will be for our own children, too.

I remember my parents, particularly my mother, worrying about me when I was moving out of my protective nest to settle in this big city. She did worry about all my brothers in the same way. But, as Rony reminded me, a while ago, we all learnt to manage our lives superbly. Yes, if we could, our children would.

Another thing, that transpired during our discussion was this: Learning is a continuous process; it’s not only a man-making process, but, it, also, keeps us eternally young. Being young means being ever curious to learn new things in life. Henry Ford had said:

“Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning is young. The greatest thing in life is to keep your mind young.”

I am sure, my 17-year-old nephew will not only learn to cook his food, but, he will, also, learn to ‘stay forever young’…






“In times of change, the learners inherit the Earth,” Erich Fromm assures us.

 * Dattu is an elder brother in Konkani



GERALD D’CUNHA

 

Pic.: pixabay

 

Video: Global Story/Amitabh Bachchan

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...