BELIEVING THE MAKE-BELIEVE

 




“Don’t be so humble; you are not that great.”

Unknown

 

The workshop I enjoy doing the most is on ‘Self-Confidence and Communication Skills’. And, I love doing it for the youngsters the most… Towards the end of this workshop, I run this slide…

“Every chaiwala cannot become a Narender Modi…

Every railway T.C. cannot be a M.S. Dhoni.”

 

This slide comes after a heavy dose of “You can do it… A chaiwala can become a Prime Minister, and a Ticket Collector can become a M.S. Dhoni.”

Before the young ones go home day-dreaming, I remind them, “Sweethearts, there is a zameen-aasman ka farq between ‘I can’ and ‘I will’… “If wishes were horses, even beggars would ride them.”

So, it goes without saying, that the launching pad of every rocket has to be firmly planted on the ground… Every man who becomes a success – a star or a superstar – has his roots here on ground. That’s such a comforting feeling, and that brings hope and inspiration for all of us, here on ground… We assure ourselves, “If he can, I, too, can.”

But, as I keep reminding the youngsters, “Don’t be mistaken… ‘I can’ and ‘I will’ are different.”





Last night, I saw a video of Rajinikanth’s short visit to the Jayanagar bus-stop (Bangaluru), where he worked as a bus conductor before he became a film star – and what he has become now – a super-se-uper superstar – the ‘Thalaiva’, and whatever that is…

So, you and I, the ‘Conductors of our buses’, here, feel elated, telling ourselves – “If Shivaji Rao Gaikwad can become Rajinikanth, the ‘Thalaiva’,” we all can…

Yes, “We can.” It doesn’t mean ‘every bus conductor’, here, in these bus depots… can!

But, there is something ‘great’ we all can do… Like, doing the simple thing  we do, with a great heart…

Therefore, why aspire to be a ‘Thalaiva’?

“My other life keeps me grounded,” said another Superstar…

The ‘Other life’ is what we all return to, when we take off our make- ups and costumes, when lights and cameras go off…

A simple mundu and a shirt, and whatever little hair left on our heads… Yes, “That’s enough, O Lord… That’s enough”…

Between Jayanagar bus-depot to Poes Garden is not just the transformation of Shivaji Rao Gaikwad into Rajinikanth, the Thalaiva… It is the saga of what is possible and what is not possible for you and me – the dreamers, here.





It is easy to become Thalaivas in this make-believe world… But, it is not easy to stay faithful to your roots and make us all believe in ourselves.

 

GERALD D’CUNHA

 

Pic’s: 1. wallpaperCave  2. www.gulte.com

 

Videos: Sun TV

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...