DEFAULT SETTING OF THE MIND

 




“You cannot have a positive life and a negative mind.”

Joyce Meyer

 


This is mid-August; and in Maharashtra, the students, who have cleared their tenth and wanting to join eleventh (State Board), are yet to go to their respective junior colleges. Some have just started going; but, they are unsure about the allocation of some subjects like Maths. On the other side, students from other Boards, such as CBSE, ISC, IGCSE etc., have completed almost 50 to 75 % of their portion in their colleges and private institutes. So, the State Board students, unless they have enrolled with some private tutors like me, are at the mercy of God – Ram Bharose!

Here, I, too, have completed a significant portion of my eleventh-standard students belonging to the State Board. But, then, students are still joining; and I have to, patiently, go back to the Accountancy nursery… to teach them Debit and Credit, all over again.…

Yesterday morning, I received a call from a young man. He said, that he had just completed his graduation and wanted to enroll his younger brother for eleventh under me. I spent nearly fifteen minutes giving him information, mostly some positive pep: to assure him, that his younger brother, who was just beginning his junior college – would need fine aptitude and attitude, both. Actually, I do that with whoever wants to learn under me… Marks and rat race seldom find any place in such conversations. It is, always, about igniting love for the subject, stressing on getting hold of the concepts, urging them to stay self-motivated etc.






Last morning, I did the same thing, and requested the young man to let me know about their decision by the day end. As there was no communication from the other end, I sent this message, today morning:

“Good morning Mr. ….. Any decision?”

As there was no response despite the blue tick, a little later, I called…

The call was not taken… But, there was a quick reply:

I am busy so I can’t accept your call and I am not taking admission thank you

I have reproduced the message of this ‘elder brother’ of his younger brother as it is… Nothing is changed except my italics…

I was angry at this ‘elder brother’s’ attitude!

I wondered; “What would I contribute to his younger brother’s growth if this is how ‘education’ should be carried out?”

Our mind goes into the negative mode by its default setting… The setting has to be changed consciously to be positive…

Maybe, the man was really ‘very busy’… Maybe, he is not good with words and communicating… Maybe, it just makes no difference to him…

And, why am I reading too much between his lines?

“Thank you Mr….. So sorry for bothering you in the midst of your busy schedule. Stay blessed," I replied...






True. It doesn’t take any effort to react negatively; but, it does take some conscious effort to act positively…

 

GERALD D’CUNHA

 

Pic’s.: Pixabay 1. geralt 2. Amigos3D

 

Video: Masaka Kids of Africa

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...