DOG'S TAIL

About ten street dogs - some big ones and some small ones - had surrounded him. They were so happy, so grateful to this man that you could feel it just by watching their tails... Just the way they jumped around him to catch those biscuits as he kept dropping them in their mouths. The show went on for about ten minutes, and the dogs - all satisfied and happy - went their way.

I happened to land at that spot just as the show was about to end. The man, who ran a small shop, had been doing this act for years. Obviously, this batch of the dogs is one of the many he had been serving all along. Today is a Tuesday. This morning, when I met him at that spot, he offered me the 'Prasad' from the famous Siddi Vinayak temple, from where he had just returned. A few yards away from his home, he was feeding the dogs.

"Just look at these animals. They are so grateful, so loyal... They are far better than human beings," I said to the man as I accepted the 'Prasad'.

"No, no," the man exclaimed with an honest smile, "Even the human beings are good."

I was stumped.

There was no criticism in the statement made by this man. It was the most sincere and respectful disagreement one could ever encounter. Yet, it had a piercing effect not only on my mind and heart, but also on my eyes. The words opened my eyes... compelled my mind to meditate on - and heart to realise - the magnitude of the impact our words, our statements leave on our well-being... All, without we becoming aware of it, even.

When I reflect on this episode, I am convinced that I wanted to impress upon the man by making that statement. What I did not realise was that it was still morning... My day was yet to start. How could I expect a good day when I was starting my day with such a loose statement? Are my fellow beings so disloyal, untrustworthy? What did I, really, mean when I said, "These animals are far better than human beings?"

The man was a simple shopkeeper. The statement,"No, no. Even the human beings are good," came from a simple, uneducated fellow being of mine. He had returned from the shrine... He was feeding the dogs - showing his care, making them happy. His day began with such acts, such words, such feelings and thoughts. And, mine?

I don't have to tell.

Most of us, often, are guilty of indulging in such self-defeating behaviours. And, we need a simple soul - and those delightfully wagging tails - to help us open our eyes, our minds, our hearts.

I, too, came my way, this morning, a lot happier, wiser and humbler. Of course, with that arrogant tail of mine, firmly tucked inside!


GERALD D'CUNHA

Comments

Girish Dhameja said…
We have a combination of all kind of person. Good Bad Faithful Unfatihful. Who are we to judge. "Be good and you will see good people" as the saying goes.

I am writing this comment even though at times i criticize others. I also have to improve a lot.

Thx,
Girish

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...