LORD, TAKE MY HAND

My dad's sister, Aunt Mary, passed away on Saturday night. We attended her funeral service yesterday.

Aunt Mary lived for nearly 75 years. Her children are all well settled in life. She did suffer from diabetes-related problems, and, some days before her death, she had a stroke which affecting her brain and breathing. We knew, looking at her condition in the hospital, that she wouldn't live long. Death, in such situation, however painful for the nearest and dearest ones, is always a peaceful solution.

Yesterday was a Sunday. A large number of people had turned up to bid Aunt Mary the final farewell. When the coffin, slowly, went down, the famous hymn, written by Thomas A. Dorsey, was played on an audio:

"Precious Lord, take my hand,
Lead me on, let me stand,
I am tired, I am weak, and worn.

Through the storm,
Through the night,
Lead me on to the light,
Take my hand, Precious Lord,
Lead me home." ...

My aunt's death did not come as a shock to her children, grandchildren or any of her close relatives. Yet, we all cried as the hymn being played. Some did not cry, but stood there moved, in contemplation.

Truly, the moments, like these, are very spiritual moments. We need them to make us mellow down, make us humble and grateful. No matter what position we hold in life, what power and status, that is where we all are going to end up our lives with. We need those graveyard experiences to make us alive... to the gift of Life God has bestowed upon us. Yes, sometimes, we all have to 'die' to come alive... in Life!

"Precious Lord, take my hand.
Lead me on, let me stand,
I am tired, I am weak, and worn..."

Honestly, we can sing this hymn - and truly feel its meaning - only in such moments.

Good Bye Aunt Mary.


GERALD D'CUNHA

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...