THE HOLY COWS

Last night, I watched the India-Sri Lanka ODI Finals. I got to watch only the last five overs... and,India losing the match.

Strangely, nothing happened to me! No tension or anxiety, no anger or sadness, no frustration or depression. I just felt normal. But, the gentleman next to me was badly upset, depressed. Another man was angry; he began to hurl abuses on our players. Again, I did not find their reaction strange. I was normal, watching their behaviour, too.

But, just a few years ago, it wasn't so. I would die to watch an India-Pakistan match, and, in the end, if we lost, I would literally die!. Most of the India-Pakistan contests were known for their nail-biting endings. I would sit before the TV, glued, without any motion, sensing my heart racing, unable to breathe fully... my mind clouded, unable to think clearly. I would become sad and depressed, and, sometimes, angry, mad.

Then, why didn't I react at all, last night?

India is 'my' country... This is my belief. My country 'should' win... This is my another belief. I am emotionally attached to my beliefs. Hence, when things don't go the way I believe them to, I am emotionally disturbed. I become sad and depressed, or, I become angry and frustrated. So, if we get in touch with the beliefs behinds our actions and reactions - our behaviours, we can easily learn to handle some of our emotional problems... including a cricket match, of course.

And, how do our beliefs get formed? Are we aware, conscious, when they get formed? If certain beliefs of mine lead to stressful behaviour in my life, am I able to undo those beliefs? I think, I am. Now, this became one more belief... I invest my emotions in it, I pursue this belief... till I start feeling that this belief doesn't help me any more, causes problems in my life.

Thus, the only sensible way to deal with our emotional problems is to continuously remain in touch with them, remain in touch with the beliefs underlying them. No belief should be - and IS - cast in stone. It should be flexible, fluid... just as Life is.

And, there goes one more belief... and one more emotional attachment around it... and, perhaps, the seed of my joy or sorrow, anger or violence. Therefore, the need to be awake, all the time...

Yes, as I key these words, as well.


GERALD D'CUNHA

Comments

Girish Dhameja said…
Well emotions will always be there and because of which you luv to watch as every one belief that in the end they will see there country winning and walk with smiling face.

It is not possible for everyone to be in touch with there emotions.

I was thinking if India would have won this match and the person who were around were happy, how would this article have turned up or if those person would have not reacted then how this article would be.......

Thx,

Girish

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"WE CHOOSE OUR JOYS AND SORROWS LONG BEFORE WE EXPERIENCE THEM."

WHEN A BIRD IS ALIVE, IT EATS ANTS... WHEN THE BIRD DIES, ANTS EAT THE BIRD

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...