THE GREEKS AND THE GEEKS

















I am a teacher… So, I insist on these things with my students: 

I insist on attendance. I insist on being on time. I also insist on a good communication. 


It takes some time for them to grasp fully the importance of these three values:

Be there for every lecture. This means, once you keep your foot in, you have no option but to remain totally committed.


Be there on time... before time. This means, you have no business to keep other people waiting.


And, if you really cannot attend, or be on time, please inform. This means, you need to have the basic courtesy of picking up your phone to communicate your problem… I am just human; I cannot know your problem unless you communicate about it to me… If you don’t, I start waiting, guessing, assuming and fuming. 


The young ones do understand the value of being regular, punctual… responsible and communicative. Yes, most of them realize the importance of these values, and, undoubtedly, it tells on their performance graph.


And, there are some, who don’t.



Many years ago, there was this young student of mine. I had taught him for four years till he had graduated from one of the finest commerce colleges in our city. The boy was an all-rounder, well informed and was lot into intra-college and inter-college events. Still, he would value my classes… and, make it a point to meet me before the events, discuss with me about his clash of schedule and try to negotiate with me … but, all the time taking full responsibility for his actions. He would never miss a class without talking to me… would not come a minute late for the class without calling me on my landline or sending a message through his friends. 


Those were not the days of cell-phones. One had to depend on the landline… or messengers like his parents, friends or neighbors. This young man would always communicate. And, because he was responsible and communicative – and, because he had the right attitude – I would go out of my way to accommodate him; often, I would call him separately and teach. 


I remember, at least, half-a-dozen times, his father had come to me, personally, to communicate about his son’s inability to attend or be on time. What would humble me – and make me feel delightful – was the fact that the father was the CEO of a big company; he would come to my place by his chauffeur-driven car… Yes, just to inform me that his college-going son would be unable to attend or be on time! 


Was there a need to do that?


I think, yes, there was. 


There still is!


Because, today - after twenty years - this young boy heads a company even bigger than his father did those days!


And, let me tell you this: I always had this feeling running through my gut that, one day,  this young man would be where he is today!












For the past few days, I have been trying to tell two of my young students – a boy and a girl from eleventh standard this: “Hey kids, you possess with you the latest Blackberry (girl) and i-phone (boy). Now, possess in your hearts, also, the most expensive value – the importance of communication!”


They have been making me wait, guess, assume… and fume. A week has already gone by… and, they still haven’t grasped the importance of owning this value. Even though they possess the finest piece of technology, and even though the communication is just a call or a sms away… these young kids are still in their own world. 


Yes, so far, that is.


I am a teacher… and, I am an optimist. I should keep trying to inculcate this value in my young students. And, I would. 


And, I really hope, my young students would appreciate what I am trying to do…





What applied thousands of years ago… still applies today. The battle of Marathon took place about five-hundred years before Christ. The legend has it that the Greek messenger, Pheidippides, had run from the battle fields of Marathon to the city of Athens to give the news of victory to his King. Yes, the legend tells us, that, this simple soldier had run, non-stop, for all twenty-six-mile distance! Just to give the news… Just to communicate!


We still celebrate this moment of history – rather, legend – all inspired by this tale of communication. 





“My dear young Geeks, 


you need to run like 


that Greek soldier, Pheidippides,” 


I feel like screaming at these kids 


with mod gadgets, 


“You need to run wearing his legendary attitude, 


his zest… and his passion. 




Communication is not even a phone-call away...


Just a heart-beat!



GERAL D’CUNHA     


Pics.: Arathi Rourniyar


Comments

ranjini.b said…
superb1 sir..truly said communication is just a heartbeat away..
Gerald D'Cunha said…
Thanks Ranini... Long time!!!
Keep reading.

Love.

GERRY
Anonymous said…
Simply inspiring!! Bijoy
Bhavika chhabria said…
Hello sir,
Just loved the way you have ramed the entire essence of communication. :)
My regards, always
Bhavika chhabria
Bhavika chhabria said…
So sorry, i meant i loved the way you have framed the entire essence of communication and panctuality! :)

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...