I... AND MY INSTITUTION























Yes, it is a matter of pride to get into a great college!


This young girl has been a brilliant student, all along. Both, in tenth and twelfth, she scored exceptionally well, and, she had a dream to get into this particular college. Yes, one of the best ones; no doubts. 


She got in… easily.


Today is the first day of the college… and, this young one is incredibly excited. “Wish me well, sir,” she sent a sms this early morning. And, I did.


Some days ago, when she had just got in and was thrilled, I had told her this: “This is a great institution… But, trust me, you will have to be on your own!”


Today, I told her in my reply, this: “An institution becomes great because of great individuals!”


She was smart enough to comprehend the meaning of my lines. So, both the times, she was quick to respond, “Yes, sir… I shall always remember this!”

  
They say, to really 'feel' the value of your institution, you have to come out of it… and, look back!

It happened in my case, too. Like St Xavier’s College in Mumbai and Loyal College in Chennai, my college – St. Aloysius in Mangalore – was a jewel of an institution. We took a lot of pride in talking about our institution. But, it was after I left the college, that I really 'felt' where I had really belonged!


But, despite this winner-feeling, I still wonder: “How does an institution become great?”


Vision of the founders… and, the successive leaders who translate the founding vision! Yes, this seems to be the first factor.


In fact, the quality of the leaders, invariably, becomes the quality of the followers. 


Next, the quality of the teachers – their outlook, passion, commitment and dedication. No compromise on this. You can’t expect to produce great pupils through mediocre teachers. Any inspired teacher has to inspire his students!


Finally comes the crucial third factor. Which, in my view, should be the first factor: The individual… The student!










I would forever proclaim this point: 

“Be a great individual… The institution will look great!”


Today, when I see the young ones – and their parents – running after the ‘great names’… yes, the brands… I feel sorry for them. “The greatest brand is you, my dear young friend,”… I feel like shouting at them, “Run after this brand!”


No, most of them do not understand this language. “The greatest brand does not make you the greatest… You do!”... I, again, remind them.


Just the way how the greatest sport spikes won’t make you the greatest sprinter… Nor would the greatest cameras make you the greatest photographer...





Greatness lies within the individual. 


Period. 


Till that is not realized, 


this madness about the greatest brands 


shall always remain that: madness!




Now, I have told this young girl what I have been feeling strongly. She has promissed me, “Yes sir… I shall always remember this!”


So, let us wait and see: whether a great institution makes a great individual… Or, the other way around!




GERALD D’CUNHA

Pics.: Gloria Pinto



Comments

Anonymous said…
Great Post too!!! Meera
Gerald D'Cunha said…
Thank u Meera... love. Gerry
PUNIT ARYA said…
I fully agree with you Gerry on this issue. Punit
Gerald D'Cunha said…
Thanks Punit. Love, GERRY

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...