THE GUEST


“Chaar din ke mehmaan hai, hum sab yahan.”























No, it was not any Baba giving his discourse. It was another mortal like me. This morning, he was reminding me of something I always knew: “Hello, you won’t be here on this earth for ever… You are only a guest here… just for ‘four days’!”


As usual, I was caught up in the rush this morning… Like every one else, I had left home with the same goal: to go out and earn money… Provide for my family… Good house, good education, comforts, holidays… and security. Yes, the rush is all for this very goal. Like every one else, I too am caught-up in the rush!




And, in this rush, 


I do need reminders from another soul:


 “Relax a little, my friend… 


after all, we all are just guests here on this earth…


 just for a brief while!”




This morning, when this gentleman said what he did, I literally paused for a while.


When I was born, my grand parents were there around. I was barely a teen, when I lost them. I lost my dad when I had just started earning. My dream that I should give him a good life, just remained a dream. My mother, who I always thought would be my constant companion, doesn’t live with me anymore. She loves me immensely, but lives in my hometown with my elder brother. All my brothers – who are so close to me – live away, far, far away. My wife, who is the most important person in my life, came into my life when I was thirty-three! My only son, who too I adore, came when I was thirty-five. These are the most significant people in my life… 


This morning, I thought of them. I thought of others as well… My friends, my students, my teachers, my neighbors, my colleagues, my bosses and subordinates, my idols and my fans… those who admire me and those who abhor me. Those who wish me well and those who wish me doom…


“How long will all this last: my stay on this earth? My stay with others, here, on this earth?” I really asked this question, this morning. I really felt, very, very deeply, that like all of them, I was - and am - here, on this earth is – as a temporary guest!


I am fortunate to have met – and lived with – my wonderful grandparents and parents, my lovely brothers, friends, neighbors and colleagues… I am blessed to have met my amazing wife and, through her, my talented son… Yes, I really felt the surge of gratitude for being here… for them – with them – for whatever period I was destined to be with…


And, while I was experiencing the surge of gratitude in my heart, I also felt a sense of great relief. I felt I was strong because of the privilege God had given me. The privilege of being with other guests – yes, other guests – here for just a short while!


“Thank you… Thank you…” I found myself repeating in my heart, over and over again. 


Yes, this morning.




GERALD D’CUNHA

Pics.: Vivek D'Cunha




Comments

Uma Prabhu said…
Flows like a poem! Lovely! Thanks. Uma
Gerald D'Cunha said…
Thanks Uma,

Love,

GERRY
Unknown said…
beautiful anology!!!!!!
alll thisss.....
it is like a gift of learning something amazing from you everyday..
I got to learn so much from you..
Gerald D'Cunha said…
Touched, dear!!!

Hope, ur Goa trip was great...

Do read always, and be in touch.

Love,

Sir

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...