THE PRINCIPLE OF THE LARGER GOOD









Long back, when I had first come across the phrase, ‘The larger good’, I remember I liking it immensely. I also remember deciding to make it one of the driving forces behind all my future actions.


Yes, I have been consciously striving to go about my life, carrying out almost every thing I do keeping the principle of ‘the larger good’ in my heart. I said, I have been ‘consciously striving’… earnestly striving. I know how powerful this principle is… how empowering… how constructive. 


However, as another human being, sometimes, I find it difficult to stick to this principle. I tend to overlook it, and, invariably the consequence is: a feeling of isolation, low confidence and regret and even anger. Yes, it does happen to me every time I tend to place ‘my good’ before the ‘larger good’. 




I have realized this, very clearly, by now: 


The larger good includes my good. 

 
But, my good need not – and, mostly, doesn’t – 

 
include the larger good.

  
Thus, if the larger good includes my good, 

 
is it not sensible for me 


to abide by this principle...

 
 as I go about my life?

 

It is. It is.



This morning, a hilarious – but a commonplace – episode drilled this belief, once again, in my head.


It was the morning-time rush. My autowala, suddenly, took the auto to the side, stretched his neck out and started yelling at another autowala, who had three passengers inside – one lady and two small children. I was surprised as to why my autowala was yelling and abusing without any evident provocation. By now, the other autowala was moving a hairline-distance from my auto… I knew, we were headed for some trouble if this continued further in that morning insane rush. The other autowala was out of his head and literally ready to pounce on mine… I made a gentle attempt to pacify both of them… But, the emotions had so clouded their minds, that, now, they would not leave each other... come what may. The lady in the other auto began to shout at her autowala. “Drop this madness,” I heard her screaming. The two little children looked very frightened… and, I found myself asserting more before my autowala. But, he seemed to hear only one voice – his; he seemed to see only one good – his!


I prayed to St. Christopher, the Patron saint of travelers! “Please take care of us,” I sent my petition. He was merciful enough, for, a minute later, while two young men on a motor bike were crossing the road, these two autowalas, who were unwilling to give up their petty personal matter, invited their trouble I was all along fearing. The bikers were thrown off the bike and the other auto overturned, the lady and the two little children inside it! In no time, a mob came forward and helped the passengers, particularly the little children. The lady, now, was uncontrollable. She told the mob about the madness the two drivers were possessed of… I got off my auto, and along with others, helped the bikers. The two young men, by now, knew what to do: one of them pulled the other autowala out of his auto, and the another dragged mine. Many others joined and gave them what the 'blind-men', rightfully deserved: Left, right and center!


The lady and the kids got into another auto… I had hardly some distance to manage… So, I walked, thanking St. Christopher for the timely intervention!











This might not be a very mature story to drive home the meaning of ‘the principle of the larger good’.  But, these two atuowalas had ignored what was good for their respective passengers, and other people who drove on the road… They were solely consumed by what was good for them. Their good did not include our good. But, our good – the larger good - most certainly, included theirs.


I still don’t have a clue as to what was their fight all about!

 

GERALD D’CUNHA

Pics.: Vivek D'Cunha





Comments

Vinit Kapoor said…
Gerry, such a profound principle your have put thru such a mundane, daily drama! Kudos, sir!!!

Vinit
Gerald D'Cunha said…
Thanks Vinit, Love. GERRY
Reena Kulkarni said…
Great article!!! Reena.
Gerald D'Cunha said…
Thanks Reena, Love. GERRY

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...