WHEN YOU LEAVE THE DOG'S TAIL ALONE...





















At 12.30, last night, a message on WhatsApp broke my sleep. “Sir, is the morning batch at 9.15 or 9.30?” Karan, a student of mine, wanted to know.

“9.15; don’t miss,” I replied and went off to sleep

This morning, Karan appeared… but, it was 9.40! By then, others were half-way their solution… and, our Karan, groped in the dark for another twenty minutes… unable to guess what’s going on!

Yes, it is the way Karan had been in my class, for all these months – irregular, late, casual. My angry outbursts were of no use… My irritation was supposed to be my problem… not Karan’s…

Yes, my irritation did not irritate him… It had only irritated me more…

So,  today, though I was tempted to shout at Karan, I chose to take a different route…

I let him grope in the dark, while I went about my work…

He was okay… I was okay… The class was okay…

Peace.



Did I do good to my student Karan or something bad?

After exhausting all the traditional methods – trying to convince, cajole, coax, lure, force, threaten etc – I am of the firm opinion, today, that, I did good to Karan by leaving him alone with his groping…

I do not know why God has sent me in Karan’s life… But, I know why He has sent Karan in my life: to teach me patience, to make me less reactive… to be less judgmental… to find different ways of helping my students… to accept others’ limitations and flaws and allow them to bloom in their own private gardens…

Yes, this morning, the moment I reasoned out this way, Karan’s behavior ceased to irritate and anger me. He ceased to rule my peace of mind… 




And, amazingly, I was able to smile and speak 

with compassion…



For guys like Karan, I, seriously, think, that’s what is needed… That’s what works.  Blunt and angry words, force or threat don’t!



“Dog’s tail will never become straight!”

Dear, if you know this truth, why are you still hell-bent to do it?

Leave the tail alone… the dog will look so beautiful, so good.

Karan has been sent to teach me this… Yes, this simple mantra of peace!



GERALD D’CUNHA

Pic.:Vivek D'Cunha


Comments

Punita Desai said…
Wonderful post sir... very much practical.
- Punita
Ruma Niwas said…
Ha, Ha, Ha!!!! That familiar karan in us!!!!----- Ruma
Anonymous said…
Like the Serenity Prayer as it is very comforting. Great piece of writing.... Bhavna
Anonymous said…
very true sir..especially for us..teachers, who go out of the way to help students but our dear students fail to understand'''
in the process we learn to keep ourselves calm n have patience..
so better leaving the tails alone...

Regards Soniya

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...