THE APPLE SEEDS














 Pic.: Sherry Haridas



“You can count the seeds in an apple, but you can’t count the apples in a seed.

 When you teach, you will never know how many lives you will influence…

you are teaching for eternity.”


-Jensen 
Yesterday was Mahashivratri. At 8, at night, I was on my way home when I saw someone hurrying towards me. “Good evening sir; do you remember me?”


“Oh yes, yes... I do,” I said extending my hand to the young-man, “So, what’s happening?”


“Sir, you used to repeatedly remind me about studying well and focus on my career;” the young-one said genuinely, “but, I never listened to you... I, now, regret.”


In times like this, I do not remind the young-ones about their past mistakes, all over again. So, I pressed the young-man’s hand and said, “Don’t worry, tell me what you have been doing since I saw you last?”



The last time I had seen the young-man was some six years ago. He was a very affectionate kid, but, always, got distracted by the friends around him... He kept bunking his college and classes... and I would, constantly, remind him, that, if he did not realize his mistake, he might later regret.


That was six years ago...


The very next year, his younger brother came to learn from me... And, I had an identical young-kid in hand! I would constantly try to put sense into this one, too... but, the same indifference would I get in return...


So, like the elder brother, the younger one, too, disappeared, once I finished teaching him the twelfth-standard course... I had no idea what happened after that.


Last night, the elder-one was very regretful, particularly for being a bad example to his younger brother. “Sir, I have been doing some odd jobs after my twelfth. But, I know, I will go nowhere with such jobs... So, I have decided to join, coming year, Mumbai University graduation course (through correspondence). Will you help me?”


“Come on, you will get help not only from me, but also from any one around,” I told  my ‘Prodigal-student’ warmly, “When you are eager and humble, you will always find help.”


“Thank-you sir, and sorry for hurting you so much,” my young-one couldn’t hide his relief, “Today is Shivratri... I had been fasting!”


“Only God can count the apples in a seed,” goes the famous saying. “You and I are just mortals... we can only count the seeds in an apple!”


As Jensen said, as a teacher, I am privileged to sow these apple-seeds as I go about my life.... And, I will never be able to count the apples that are going to come out from those seeds... Never, ever!


With all the humility in the world, I can only say: “I am blessed to be one of those, who are sent here to sow the apple-seeds!”


GERALD D’CUNHA

Comments

Sumeet Khatri said…
I am one of those 'seeds' sir!Thank you!
... Sumeet Khatri
Anonymous said…
beautiful..i just loved it.


nikita.
Sunita Saldhana said…
Can so relate to this.

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...