THE BONE-CHEWING DOG-HABIT OF MIND

















Pic.: Vincent D'Souza

My day, so far, has been quite peaceful… even though I have been doing, today, the same activities which I generally do… the same kinds of interactions, the same kinds of situations and provocations… Yes, even though life-situations have remained the same, today, life-quality has been way better, today…


Peaceful to be precise!


How come?


Well, I know the answer, as most of us do: I have been throwing least resistance to the situations popping up before me, today. There is a silent acceptance in my heart of those situations which I know I can not change…


So, this is one of those rare days, when, amidst the same hustle and bustle of life and same roller-coaster rides, my mind has chosen to be more meditative than reactive…


Blame comes from my reactive mind…


Panicking comes from my reactive mind…


Anxiety, fear and worry come from my reactive mind…


The feelings of victimization, self-pity and hopelessness… all these come from my reactive mind.


My mind is so used to reacting… making mountains out of molehills… and, it is such an old- and-hardened habit… that, it, often, appears as though mind can not survive, even for a single day, without being fed on my problems…


In his famous book – ‘The Power of Now’, Eckhart Tolle describes this familiar habit of mind in this manner:


“Just as dogs love to chew bones, the mind loves to get its teeth into problems.

 That's why it does crossword puzzles and builds atom bombs.”



On a rare day, like today, when I realize that my dog-habit of bone-chewing leaves my mind only reactive and restless, I am able to experience the kind of peace I am going through, so far, today…


It is a clear cue…


I am able to watch my own mind…


And, if that’s what meditation is, it is really a good news!


GERALD D’CUNHA

Comments

Anonymous said…
Very appropriate! Nikhil
Lata Dasani said…
very meaningful and inspiring sir.
--- Lata Dasani

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...