SIXTEENTH SEPTEMBER... AND THE BRIEFCASE





Pic.: M. D. Jeurkar

When I came to Mumbai – then Bombay - city in October 1980, all that I came with was: my burning desire teach...

My dad’s brother was kind enough to accommodate me in his small BARC quarters, which were located in the sleepy corner called Mandala. He was an ex-service man and was a driver with Indian Army; he had spent many years of his service in J &K terrains. At the fag-end of his bond period, my uncle had joined the Christian congregation called ‘Jehovah Witnesses’... whose uncompromising religious-tenets would not allow my uncle to hold a gun or even take blood during surgeries.. So, he chose to retire as soon as his bond period got over and joined BARC as a driver for top officials out there...

Now, the reason I chose to live with my uncle was that he was a thorough gentleman, incredibly disciplined... The tough military-regimen and now the rock-solid religious -grounding had made him the man he was... a true soldier in life!

I lived with my uncle for seven long-years!

Dr. S.M. Rao was my dad’s boss in BARC. His sister was a teacher in Atomic Energy school, where I had the privilege of teaching for a brief period – which would, forever, remain as the most significant period of my quest to find my place in life. I had already decided that I would never work in any school or college for long, instead create my own work ambiance... So, I kept orbiting all over Anushakti Nagar and its surroundings... and teach in groups... teach with all the joy, hope and enthusiasm in my heart... I wouldn't care for money, the fees... just teach, just teach and just teach all day long...  though money did come along as the by-product of my joyful work...

Incidentally, Dr. S.M Rao’s sister, my colleague in school, had her young sister-in-law, (husband’s sister) who, like me, had migrated from Andhra to seek a job here in Bombay... I was approached by ma’am to help her sister-in-law, which I did for quite many months... yes, without any fees, just joyfully...

One Sunday evening, when my uncle and his family had been for their weekly prayer meeting, back at home, the bell rang. When I opened the door, I saw ma’am and her husband with a lovely briefcase... It was a token of gratitude and appreciation for my joyful work... I felt a lot shy and humbled and accepted the gift...

At night, I passed on the lovely token of love and gratitude to my uncle, whose helping hand had done so much to me... He accepted it with loads of happiness... My uncle is nearing 80... and, now, settled in Mangalore. He had been a diabetic and had undergone, a couple of years ago, a rare heart surgery at the famed KMC Hospital – hours-long open-heart surgery without taking a drop of blood! It was reported in several dailies in Karnataka!

But, then, even now, my uncle goes on his house-to-house rounds to spread the ‘Good News’ – ‘The Bible’.... and, believe me... he goes tucking the Bible and other material in the same lovely briefcase – the token of love and gratitude!

Well, Love’s labor never gets lost, never goes unpaid... never. Dr. S.M. Rao had his boss at BARC, Dr. V.K.Iya, the Group Director (Isotope). When Dr. Iya’s daughter, Rekha, needed help in Accountancy during her Hotel Management studies, I was approached again... And, I did the same thing: I taught Rekha for her whole term, at their bungalow at Saras Baug, with the same old joy, hope and enthusiasm... and, yes, I said no to the fees!

By then, my uncle had become Dr Iya’s official driver...

What has still remained etched in my mind is this: Dr. Iya, his wife, and their two children (Dr. Vidhya, the elder daughter is now a respected heart-physician at Leelavati) never ever gave me an impression that I was the nephew of their driver... It was just the opposite, when I reflect it now: Because my uncle was a man of decipline and high values in life, and because I - a young, struggling soul in this city - tucked in my heart my own ‘missionary zeal’, they all accepted me as a part of their family...

I became very close to sir, Dr. Iya, his wife – ‘Shrimati’ as he would fondly call her – their daughters, Vidya and Rekha... And, now, after almost 32-33 years, I am still proud to be a part of their consciousness!


Some years, later, when my uncle retired, Dr. Iya and Dr. S.M. Rao took initiative to host a grand falicitation at the coveted auditorium inside BARC... In their speeches, they both showered tributes on my uncle, who was just their driver. They, also, spoke about me, the THE DAWN CLUB...  My uncle still remembers this rare honor showered upon a driver, even now!


Many years ago, when THE DAWN CLUB was publishing the inspirational magazine – ‘The Bloom’ – Dr. Iya and Dr. S.M Rao wrote the cover story on the ‘Great Motivator’ – ‘Dr. Homi Bhabha’... One day, when my office assistant had gone to Dr. Iya’s place to handover the copy of the magazine, Mrs. Iya gave a glass of chilled water to my office boy and asked his name...

“Vasudev,” my boy told ma’am...

Holding her breath for a while, she told my boy, “It’s a God’s name... You are a blessed soul!”

My office boy, Vasudev, was so touched by this, that he came back and narrated the story to me...

Frankly, at that moment, I did not know as to why ma’am had held her breath and said what she did!

Then, one morning – twenty-two years ago, exactly on this day, I called-up ma’am to break the good news... “Ma’am,” I cried in excitement, “Anima (my wife) delivered a baby boy, early this morning!”

There was a pause at the other end... Ma’am had held her breath, once again... I while later I heard her voice: “Gerry, a blessed soul your little boy will be!”

This time around, it was my turn to feel touched by ma’am’s kind words... And, yes, honestly, at that point of time, I had no idea as to why she had said what she did!







Dr. V.K.. Iya  was honored with the prestigious 'Homi Bhabha Lifetime Achievement Award - 2010' in New Delhi. 
Seen from our left, in the photo here,  Rekha, Mrs. Iya, Mr.Kuldeep Bhartee (Rekha's husband - G.M. ITC - Grand Central, Mumbai), Ex-P.M. Dr. Manmohan Singh, Dr. .Iya,  Dr. Vidya, Dr. Banerjee ( Ex-Chairman Atomic Energy) and Dr. Lohit Suratkal (Dr. Vidya's husband and renowned Nephrologist.)


Today is 16th September.... It is the 87th birthday of Dr. Vasudev K. Iya, one of the finest, humblest, and warmest gentlemen I have been blessed to be friends with... He is physically frail and unwell at this point of time... But, his heart has remained as zestful, warm and humble as it had been for all through his long journey...

Yes, today is, also, the 22nd birthday of my only son, Kenrick... the little-boy, who would be a ‘blessed soul’ as ma’am had prayed...

So, to me, it’s a double delight, today... to be blessed with, Dr. Iya - a father-figure in my life... and to be the father of my own son...

Happy B’day sir...

Happy B’day son...

With loads of love, respect and gratitude...


GERALD D’CUNHA

Comments

Kripa G said…
Very touching, very inspiring!!

- Kripa G
Nisha D'Souza said…
A very honest post... wishing good health and happiness to Dr. Iya and success to your son.

.. Nisha D'Souza
Leena Sharma said…
Humbling!!!!!

Leena Sharma
Unknown said…
Dr Iya and our beloved aunty have always been inspiring to us - me, my wife Srilatha and son Surya. The patience that Dr Iya shows and the affection that Aunty shows have always been lingering in our minds. Blessed we are, to have got introduced to them... thank you Rekha...... thanks. Gurunath.
Gerald D'Cunha said…
Fully agree with u Mr. Gurunathan... Knowing them has been our great privilege in life. Thanks a lot... Love
Rekha said…
Sir, your memory is phenomenal. The narrative about your interaction with my father is truly touching. Thank you sir for making dad's birthday so special through this post.
Love and affection Rekha
Gerald D'Cunha said…
Rekha, dad and mom deserve every bit of what I have narrated... It has been my personal fortune to meet him along my journey... Praying for his and mom's good health and peace. Love.

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...