WHO IS THE PARTNER IN CRIME?





Pic. Nishant Joshi
Hitesh*, an eleventh-standard student of mine, had missed the last lecture, yet again. Last week, when he had missed three–four lectures in a row, I talked to his mother and explained to her why Hitesh had to be regular... It was eleventh standard. The subject which I taught – Accountancy – needed to be organized well, with a good hold on the basics... Else, it would tell on the following years. Thus, as I do with all other students, I did insist with, first, Hitesh, then, his mother, that, if the foundation was shaky, the edifice would never stand; that Hitesh would never like this subject – the main subject – and, thereby, the quality of his work would not have any beauty; that, he would not have motivation to work hard and long...
Yes, generally, I do not involve parents to prevail upon my students. It is only when needed (like, when the family makes frequent programmes to go out, hold functions etc., at the cost of lectures), that I talk to them. In this case, too, I had spoken to Hitesh’s mom only when I felt I had to. And, when I did that, she appreciated what I was trying to tell her and assured me that Hitesh would be regular in future...

Now, when I was starting a new chapter, Hitesh was absent, once again. Worst, there was no word from either Hitesh or anyone at home. I was annoyed... I was worried that he might again miss classes in a row. Therefore, I called his mother’s cell-phone. No response. After an hour, when I was in the midst of my lecture (not his batch), I received her call. I went out of the class to talk to her. As I started gently describing to her the situation, I heard her saying, “Sir, I will talk to you later; I thought it was something important!”
I was numb for a while! “This is not important ma’am?” I managed to ask her with a voice filled with anguish...
“Sir, not that...” before Hitesh’s mother could complete what she wanted to say, I cut-off the phone and went inside to teach...
Obviously, it left me very disturbed.
“If a mother doesn't think, it is important, how would her son?” I was ranting in my mind, “The partner in crime!”
Some two hours later, I received the call again. “Sir, Hitesh’s mummy here,” I heard, “Sorry sir, if I have hurt you. You know I am a teacher in........ school. We are not allowed to talk on phone during our class. Still, assuming that it was about some change in Hitesh’s class-timings or something urgent like that, I took a chance and called you back, but I was afraid of my Principal. When I learnt that it was regarding Hitesh’s attendance, I thought I could talk to you later, after my school-hours. But, in my anxiety, I ended-up saying, “I thought it was something important... which was a wrong word on my part... I should have said, ‘something urgent’.”
My numbness, by now, had all gone. “Don’t worry ma’am, I am sorry for cutting-off the phone,” I calmed Hitesh’s mom, “See that he comes today.”
“Certainly sir, he will be there today,” I was assured, “What you are saying is very important... I know it as I am teacher myself. Thank-you sir.”
“Thank-you ma’am,” I concluded, “take care.”

*Name changed

GERALD D’CUNHA

Comments

Lisa D'Costa said…
The message left me speechless!! Lisa

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...