THE GLASS IS, ALREADY, BROKEN!






Pic.: Sheela Krishnamony
If we closely observe, our anxieties and fear about our future come from our attachment to people, possessions and positions in our lives. So, as Jiddu Krishnamurti would, often, say, “Our fear exists only in our relationships!” Yes, our relationships with people, possessions and power..
Living in this world means living in relationship with what the world brings for us – people, possessions and positions. We can’t live in isolation... in detachment.
Detachment is easier said than done!
But, then, a deep awareness, that all things in Life are perishable, and all relationships bring with them the web of attachment, and, thereby, that perennial  fear of losing them... and worry. Yes, this understanding is of great help to maintain our poise and ability to enjoy whatever Life brings for us, everyday...
The people in my life – no matter how dear and near they are to me – will leave me, one day...
My possessions – no matter how vast in size they are – are going to perish, one day...
The positions I hold – no matter of what prominence – are not going to last long...
Look at my own body... It is, already, shrinking!
Look at my fame... It is, already, dwindling!
My money in the bank... It hardly hold any value... I will never, ever be able to protect myself against all the eventualities and uncertainties of my life...
There is this old Zen story:
Once a disciple asks his Master, “Master, this life is uncertain... Nothing in it is permanent... People leave us, we lose our possessions and power, one day. So, when so much of our effort is directed towards protecting and securing ourselves, constantly in a state of anxiety, fear and worry, how can we maintain our poise, and our ability to enjoy life?”
The Master had a glass near him. Holding it before the disciple, he said, “Someone gifted me this glass with lots of affection. Now, it is mine. When I see the water in it, it pleases my eyes... When the light glistens through it, my heart rejoices... When I drink from it, it gives me great joy... So, I have developed an attachment – a relationship – with this object called ‘glass’...”
The Master continued, “But then, I, also, know that a strong wind, or a careless passerby or just the touch of my elbow can topple this glass and it may break into pieces any moment... That’s the nature of glass... to break.”
The Master concluded, “So my dear young-disciple, if I know in my mind that this glass is already broken, that is enough for me to deal with the fear, anxiety and worry coming from the thought of losing it, protecting and securing it.”
In Life, all our ‘glasses’ are, already, broken!
So, Cheers!
GERALD D’CUNHA

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...