"ALL SEEDS DON'T SPROUT, MY SON"


















Pic.: Alwyn Mathias




“No force on earth can stop an idea whose time has come.” 


When I was small, back in our village, I would feel excited seeing seeds sprout in the wild orchard. They were all sorts of seeds - cashew seeds, mango seeds, jack-fruits seeds, tamarind seeds, berry seeds, coconuts seeds, papaya seeds, chikoo seeds, guava seeds and all sorts. Many a times, after returning from school, I would attempt to plant a cashew or a mango seed in place of my choice… And, then, I would go there, every day, to check if it had sprouted…. Most of the times, it hadn't… and, I would wonder ‘Why’?

“Because,” my mom would tell, “all seeds don’t sprout, my son.”

“But, why so?” I would insist.

“For, that’s how God wants it to be!” my mom would calm me down.

Today, I attempt to plant seeds of different kinds… One of them is my ideas. The ideas that I try to give life to… Like I did as a little child, even today, I go out there – into my orchards – and try to plant my ideas where I presume they would sprout, grow into rich fruit-giving trees… I wait and watch… I wait and watch… And, many a times, I do feel disappointed…

I ask: Was it a bad seed? Was it an infertile soil? Was it a wrong season? Or, was it not in God’s plan?

True, just as all seeds don’t sprout, all ideas too, don’t. And, just as they do when everything is right for them to, our ideas, too, shoot up when everything is right for them to… And, as Victor Hugo’s famous line goes, “No force on earth can stop an idea whose time has come.”

My mom did no t know who Victor Hugo was. That’s why she would calm me down with her words:

“For, that’s how God wants it to be, my son!”

So, so be it!


GERALD D’CUNHA


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...