A SECOND THOUGHT ABOUT OUR FIRST IMPRESSION










Pic.: Alwyn Mathias




“Be the type of person you want to meet.”

-Anonymous


The first impression is the last impression.
While a major part of it may be true, I don’t think, any first impression – no matter how good or bad it is – can be ‘the last’ impression.

And, because, somewhere it is ingrained into our psyche, that our first impression is very, very important – that, it is the ultimate, the decisive, the final impression, we go overboard to present our best profile before the world…

Yes, I, too, do it… Take me anywhere… Put me before anyone – right from my new students to their parents… to a bank manager, government official, or even a new neighbor or friend… Yes, somewhere at the back of my mind, it is deeply seated: that, I must leave my best impression before them!

So, I do… And, I am sure, like me, everyone else does, too.

But, then, I am in touch with another thought in my mind, which, invariably, pops up every time I try to leave that ‘first-and-best’ impression before anyone. The thought is: “How sincere I am?”… “Am I just bluffing?”… “Am I just fooling?”

Well, I alone know the answer to this question… For, I alone know whether I am sincere or not…Whether I am just bluffing and fooling or not…

It is said, nobody is such a fool in this world to be fooled by us over and over again. So, in my desperation to ‘sell’ myself well, I might succeed hoodwinking someone once, twice or thrice… But, always?

Impossible!

My bluff will be exposed, soon… and, for sure.

Agreed, I may not get a second chance to leave the first impression. But, once I have left my first impression – once I am ‘in’ – yes, then what?

Only I can answer that question.


GERALD D’CUNHA



Comments

Bharat Rane said…
A simple yet profound truth!

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...