A DIAMOND IN JHARKHAND






Pic.: Nimala Sundar



Last afternoon, when I was talking to some of my old acquaintances, another friend of mine, a doctor, showed up. I introduced him to my old friends and our discussion continued. During the course of this discussion, my doctor friend, referring to me, casually said to my other friends present, “To me, Gerry (He calls me Gerry sir!) is a ‘Diamond in Jharkhand’!”

Immediately, my other friends began to nod in agreement, while I was left clueless as to what was the significance of a diamond in Jharkhand’.

Well, the rest of the discussion cleared the coal around this diamond thing…

My doctor friend and others knew about the wealth hidden in the diamond mines of this otherwise remote state called Jharkhand. They knew, that no such mines existed in great cities like Mumbai, Delhi or Chennai. But, my friends, also, knew this: unless someone digs the diamond out of black coal mines and unless someone transports it to big cities – where people who appreciate, value and can afford it live, the diamond, itself, is just coal in Jharkhand!

My friends, including the doctor who had said this, were my well-wishers. I knew what they wanted to convey through this analogy…

That, like that diamond in remote Jharkhand, we are hidden, all unnoticed, unappreciated, and undervalued here in our own Jharkhands… That, unless, we make a conscious effort to dig ourselves out of our obscure mines and carry ourselves – our preciousness – to where it truly deserves to reach… where our beholders and connoisseurs really dwell… yes, unless this happens,  we all will end up being just that – ‘Diamonds in Jharkhand’!

My heart smiles as I, too, nod in agreement with my friends!


GERLAD D’CUNHA




Comments

Hasha Kamath said…
Too good!
Nitya Rane said…
True, like the diamond in Jharkhand, we all are just 'coal' unless we are brought out that obsurity
Unknown said…
Can you share the place name where diamonds are found

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

WHEN A BIRD IS ALIVE, IT EATS ANTS... WHEN THE BIRD DIES, ANTS EAT THE BIRD

"WE CHOOSE OUR JOYS AND SORROWS LONG BEFORE WE EXPERIENCE THEM."

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...