THE FAST OF JUNAYD













Pic.: Rajiv Sharma
     



“Sometimes it is the journey that teaches you
a lot about your destination.”

-          Darke

Many a times, when my dearest ones ask me as to why I want to reach a certain destination, I find myself struggling for an answer. Because, that’s the time I become aware, that if my focus is more on reaching my destination – on becoming – rather than the process or the journey I chose to embark upon – on being… yes, if I am more stuck with reaching the destination rather than experiencing the joy and glory of my journey, I will only succeed in proving a point… Telling the world, “Hey, look, I have made it… I have arrived.”

I alone will know, deep inside, if, after reaching my destination, my life would be any different from how it was before I had set on my journey… I alone know if the journey was worth it.

Gandhi would, often, say, “Our means are as important as our ends.” He knew, how foolish we could be to think, that once the British left, we all would be far, far happier. He taught us the lesson, that if we did not walk the right path, our condition would be same, or worse, even after achieving our so-called ‘freedom’. Yes, for Bapu, the freedom and joy that came from walking the right path was more priceless than the thrill that came from reaching the destination…

Whenever I say, by ‘any means’, I am saying, ‘By hook or by crook’…  Yes, I will reach, for sure. But, then what?

The other day, a dear friend of mine told me a beautiful story about Junayd, the Sufi Master.

Once, Junayd decided to go on a pilgrimage accompanied by some of his  faithful disciples. He instructed them to observe a fast throughout their journey. The faithful gladly obeyed. Now, the news of the great saint passing through their village spread fast and far and many came out to greet their Master along his pilgrimage. One of the devotees, who lived along the path, prepared a delicious meal for his Master and other pilgrims. When Junayd and other pilgrims reached near this devotee’s house, they were received with great devotion and were requested to savor the meal prepared with great love.

The Master immediately agreed and sat down to eat his meal! On seeing their Master gladly relishing the meal, the other pilgrims, too, followed suit… After the meal, the Master thanked the kind devotee and his family and the journey continued…

Obviously, some pilgrims were left puzzled. Though they all had thoroughly enjoyed the meal, they couldn't resist from asking their teacher as to why he had decided to break his fast. “Didn't you instruct us to observe the fast strictly?” they asked.

“Yes, I did,” the Master replied to his disciples,” but, I did not ask you to break your fast and eat with me… You decided to do that.”

The Master continued, “My dear disciples, the man who had prepared the meal had done it with great love and he did not know, that we were on fast. On the other hand, we did not know, that he had prepared a meal for us with great love and sacrifice… When I came across this situation, I did what I thought was appropriate and, with my full heart, did what I did. I was fully aware of what I was doing… I enjoyed keeping the fast, breaking it, and keeping it again… But, what about you? Remember, we are pilgrims and, hence, the pilgrimage is more important than reaching the shrine!" 


Come, let’s proceed with our pilgrimage!


GERALD D’CUNHA

                                                                                                                           

Comments

Vineet Sharma said…
Wonderful story and wonderfully woven! Thanks.

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...