WHAT DID I CAST IN THE HOLI BONFIRE, LAST NIGHT?








Pic.: Manjeet Singh Kukreja

Every ritual has significance, a meaning. But, most of the times, we just perform the rituals mechanically. Whether we are Hindus, Muslims, Christians, Sikhs or whoever, we do tend to follow many of our rituals blindly.

Late last night, I had joined many of our Society members for Holi Dahan – the Holi bonfire.  Men and women, the old and the young were gracefully going around the bonfire… As I was going around the fire along with them, a thought passed through me: “What must I pray in my heart as I take each trip around the Holi fire?”

The answer was right there waiting… The faces of some of my tormentors flashed through my mind… the hurt, the pain, the anger… the fear and the helplessness… Yes, all these began to well-up inside… And, my heart was prompting me to pray: “Cast your hurt, pain, anger, fear and helplessness in the Holi bonfire… Do it now, do it fully, willingly and unconditionally.”

I did it, instantly!

It was a powerful experience... very, very liberating!

Honestly, when I joined my fellow-members in the Holi ritual, I had no idea what and why I was doing it… I had joined them mechanically! But, then, there was this surprise in waiting – a strong prompting from within, a question:  “What must I pray in my heart as I take each trip around the Holi fire?”

I am glad, that I had joined other celebrants… I am glad, that I could find a personal meaning in the ritual of going around Holi bonfire…

Hope, you too were in touch with your personal prayer, last night. Hope, your life will be blessed with vibrant colors.


GERALD D’CUNHA



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...