HERE IS A NEW DAY... WITH A NEW CHALLENGE










Pic.: Pushpa Mistry Kamath


“You can only lose what you cling to.”
— Buddha


L
ast week, I had invited a very dear friend of mine to spend an hour with our young PD-students. She did a wonderful job… helping young-ones to correct the most common mistakes they committed while communicating in English.

My friend is a very gentle and helpful soul. Now retired, she had been a very popular English teacher… and, like all teachers do, had impacted lives of thousands of students through her teaching career.

This morning, I saw a message from my friend… She wanted my e-mail id. Our students had loved her session and found it very useful.  Even though I had conveyed it to her and thanked her profusely, while sending to her my e-mail id, today, I, once again, conveyed to her my students’ and my own sincere feelings…

“Gerry, in fact, I needed the e-mail id for that reason,” my friend wrote to me,  “I realized that a lot of threads were hanging loose and hoped that if I explained it all in detail to you in the mail you would be able to explain it to them.”


“Ma’am, I really appreciate and value your concern,” I replied to my friend, “If you could do that, I would be grateful.”  Then, something inside me prompted me to add this: “Ma’am, but, it is okay… It is all about doing our ‘bit’… You did from your end, I do from mine… Beyond that, each one has to find it for him/herself, So, let’s do what is possible and let’s do it with all our heart and good intention. Take care.”


The day after my friends’ session here, I had been to Ahmedabad. One of my dear friends had invited me to conduct a motivational programme for the new staff of a leading bank. I did it with all my heart and good intention over two days for two different batches… Yes, I came back with the thought, that it was the ‘best’ of what I had offered so far in my life…


So, when my friend asked me, “How was your Ahmedabad trip?”, once again, something inside me prompted me to tell her this:


“It was great ma’am… It was for the new recruits of a leading bank… a part of induction training…I had it for two days for two different batches. As I said, I gave my best, which is my ‘bit’… I have left it behind in Ahmedabad… Here is a new day, a new challenge. Love.”



“Hmmm,” my friend commented, “like the old monk in the story, eh?”


“Yes ma’am, I really think, that we should learn to see all our efforts that way… Just don’t cling, don’t live in the ‘hang-over’… don’t die for others’ validation… least, don’t try to please them… The less we cling, the less we remain addicted… I am learning it the hard way… learning to approach life as though it is my first day here… Hope, it is not a sermon early in the morning. We’ll catch up soon, ma’am. Love.”

“Yes, of course,” my friend ended the conversation, “Have a great day.”


A friend had come ‘here’ to help me and my students… I had gone ‘there’ to help another friend and his students… We gave our best, lived our best… and, yes, like that old monk, who had dropped the young-and-beautiful woman long behind, we both are learning to drop our young-and-beautiful memories long behind…

Yes, it is new day here… a new challenge… We are embracing it with our new eyes and new hearts…

“Capre diem!”… “Seize the day!”



GERALD D’CUNHA



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...