THE LESS-CROWDED GROUP







Pic.: Suresh Nair

“There are two kinds of people:
those who do the work, and, those who take the credit.
Try to be in the first group… There is less competition there.”

Yesterday, someone was telling me how fierce the competition was in his field. This man worked extremely hard, and he worked with all his heart. Things had moved well for him all along. But, he seemed to be a lot anxious. “I sense I am losing the hold… There is fierce competition around me. There are plenty in the field out there doing what I have been doing… There is ample option for the customers, now… Moreover, I am not ‘that young’ anymore.”
“What did you say, last?” I probed the man.
“I said, I am not ‘that young’ anymore,” he repeated.
“Do you, also, sense that you are not ‘as enthusiastic and as passionate’ anymore?”
He took some time to tell this: “Well, I sense that my enthusiasm and passion are not the same as they used to be once, when I was younger,” he admitted, “But, then, I still work hard and long.”
“My friend, you needn't fear the person who has more number of customers than you have, who makes more money than you do, who has bought more properties than you have,” I consoled this man, “You really need to fear the person who works more that what he is paid for… Who goes the extra-mile… who doesn't care for the money that he makes or the long hours that the gives to his customers… who puts his heart and soul and burns with passion.”

I continued, “There are so many out there who work solely for money… So many who want it fast… So many who look at their watches constantly…  They make money fast and do make lots of properties… Yes, there are so many of them out there… so many. There is real rat race… real competition. But, go out and check if there are as many men and women out there who work more than what they are paid for… who go the extra-mile… who do not care for the money that comes or the time that is spent. Trust me, the space is less crowded there… Be there… Compete with these guys, if you really want to compete… if you really want to ‘sleep well’ in the night.”

Mrs. Indira Gandhi - who, they said, was the ‘only man’ in her cabinet – had said this:
“There are two kinds of people:
those who do the work, and, those who take the credit.
Try to be in the first group… There is less competition there.”

I just want to add one more group: those who go the extra-mile… who work more than they are paid for… who do not do the work for money alone, who do not look at their watches, constantly… and, yes, whose passion seldom dies down in their souls…
Yes, if we are in this group, we needn't fear the competition, in life…

GERALD D’CUNHA

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...