I AM GOING TO SCHOOL









Pic.: Chetna Shetty

In an all-in-one-room place, just next to my classes, a Rajasthani family has come to stay on rent. They have two little-daughters. The older one must be about the age 3 and the younger one 2. I do not think the young parents have had any schooling beyond the primary. The reason for saying this is: These parents have great respect to the college-going students who flow in and out of my classes every day. They watch them with sparkle in their eyes… They, also, have a great deal of reverence for teachers. The two little-ones come inside my class and either write A,B,C or draw something on my white board… They love asking a dozen questions till I gently send them off…

Just a while ago, the younger-one, had come to see me. “Sir, mein school ja rahin hoon; Bye.

Today was her maiden day. I did not ask whether it was a play school or nursery. That was not important to me. What made me happy was the enthusiasm with which she was saying to me, “Sir, mein school ja hahi hoon.” With a pretty green-and-yellow uniform, a big bag on her back a water bottle tucked in it,  and the ID proudly displayed on her shirt, she was beaming with promise…

“Wow!” I pulled her in. “School mein maaza ayega beta; all the best.” I shook her hand and ran my hand over her little head.

“Mummy, sir ne kaha – ALL THE BEST.”

I stretched my neck out. The mother had, apparently, sent her little-one to tell me that her little-one was starting her school today!

Maybe, the mother wanted me – a teacher - to place my hand on her two-year-old’s head! Maybe…  I am just guessing.


So often, in a bank or Post office, someone would come to me with a request to fill a form or write a cheque or read out their pass book entries or a letter. Yes, that’s the time, I am really busy… But, when the request comes to me, I feel  terribly guilty!

What is my education for? Only for myself? Do I know, how fortunate I am, how blessed? Do I make good use of my education, my literacy, or just keep filling my coffer… worse, remain busy plotting against my neighbor, by abusing my education?

I seriously feel, this young mother has the most sincere desire to make her little-one a well-educated girl…

I am happy I was able to place my hand over  the little-one’s head, today… May the bud blossom to its full glory…


GERALD D’CUNHA

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...