MILIND'S MILESTONE







Pic.: Chetna Shetty
Thanks to Milind Soman, I now know what a Triathlon means: It is one of the world’s toughest races… which includes a 3.8 km swim, a 180.2 km cycle-ride and 42.2 km run raced in that order, without any break. The participant is expected to finish it within 16 hours to win the coveted title – ‘Ironman’!

This year, on July 19, the race was held in Zurich, Switzerland. Of the 2,000 participants, seven were Indians… Milind Soman was one of them. He completed the race in 15 hours and 19 minutes!

And, hello, listen to this: Milind has done it at 50!

Well, that’s the main reason for all of us going gaga over Milind’s feat. Certainly, he deserves all the accolades he has been receiving. He is a tough guy… Incredibly focused, determined, committed, hardworking and, yes, disciplined…

Stamina has to be built gradually… It calls for a great amount of perseverance, focus, discipline. I know it, because, I lack it. Leave races of these kinds – Triathlons and Marathons – I cannot even run a very short distance… Because, I have never focused on stamina and fitness unlike many people around me do. I have not made it as my priority as they have made. So, whenever I come across a fitness–and-health-conscious person, I treat him with great respect…

And, when I come across someone like Milind Soman – ‘The Ironman’ – I just stand up and salute!


Well, in life, many of us run our own Triathlons. And, yes, they are too tough to complete… And, because we put in the same kind of focus, commitment, determination, hard-work and discipline, we, too, complete our races successfully… We all know, for many of us, our races last life-long… They don’t stop at 50!

Milind’s milestone has inspired me to remain focused and determined to complete my own tough race… In life, whatever we focus on, expands… builds, grows, succeeds. I have such kind of focus and determination in some areas of my life… and, in some other areas, I lack it. I am aware of the fact, that it is so for everyone on this planet…


So, well-run Milind… “The Ironman’!



GERALD D’CUNHA
  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"WE CHOOSE OUR JOYS AND SORROWS LONG BEFORE WE EXPERIENCE THEM."

WHEN A BIRD IS ALIVE, IT EATS ANTS... WHEN THE BIRD DIES, ANTS EAT THE BIRD

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...