ABRAHAM AND ARNAB





Pic.: Ivan Mathias

There are two colourful words in English – ‘Gullible’ and ‘Charlatan’. I chanced upon both these words in Dr. Abraham Kovoor’s books – ‘Begone Godmen’ and ‘Gods, Demons and Spirits’. It was more than thirty years ago!

For those who do not know who Dr. Kovoor was, I want to tell this: He was a rationalist … never believed in any God or god-men … He exposed all god-men by challenging them to prove their miracles … He called them by that colorful name – ‘Charlatans’ … those who practiced quackery or some similar trick in order to obtain money, fame or other advantages via some form of pretense or deception …

And, to the rest of us – the followers of these god-men, the bhakts, he called so lovingly by the other colorful name – ‘Gullible’!

I would love and hate Dr. Kovoor as I read his books depending upon who he was exposing … If he exposed a baba who I found was a ‘dongi baba’, yes, I would jump with joy, cheer, say “Shabaash Dr. Kovoor”. On the other hand, whenever he ripped a saint or god-man who I found ‘holy’, I would be angry with the old-man (Dr. Kovoor). “Bloody Nastik!”… Yes, that’s how I would react !


Whatever my love-hate relation with Dr. Kovoor, his two clolourful names have etched permanently in my mind … the ‘Charlatans’ and the ‘Gullible’…

By the ways, the word ‘Gullible’ seems to have come from the root ‘Gull’, which means ‘swallow’ … Thus, we are the ones who swallow the stories of these Charlatans without testing … Or, it could be this: We are the ones these charlatans swallow fully for their breakfast and lunch … Whatever that is … I loved the legacy of Dr. Kovoor …

How come the old-man surfaced this afternoon?

Arnab Goswami, sir … Arnab! I have the same love-hate relationship with this modern-day Abraham Kovoor … I hate him when he blasts the ones who I find ‘nice’ … and, I love him when he goes after the ones who I find ‘dongi’ …

The only thing I miss when Arnab shouts at the top of his voice is those two colourful names or titles or adjectives whatever you wish to call them …

The Charlatans and the Gullible.

GERALD D’CUNHA



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...