SHOULD I WISH YOU OR SHOULD I COMPLAIN TO YOU?





Pic.; Rekha Prakash

Some seven years ago, early one morning, I received a phone call from the mother of one of my students. She had a petty grievance and I gracefully assured her that the needful would be done. I hoped, the matter would end there. But, the lady was going on and on and on …

“Rest assured ma’am,” I conveyed to the lady keeping my cool, “It is a small matter.”

“Small matter?” the lady flared up and took off, all over again!

I realized I had committed a sacrilege by saying “It is a small matter”!

“Ma’am, I am sorry, if I have offended you,” I had still the composure to convey to her, “But, trust me, you don’t have to worry … Today is my 50th birthday!”

That didn’t help either … The lady had more to say …

And, I hung up my phone …

“To hell with you,” I said, now irritated and hurt, knowing it very well, that she neither heard what I just said nor felt what I meant when I had said, “Ma’am, today is my 50th b’day.” Yes, all that she was obsessed with was her own early-morning agenda … which, despite my graceful assurances, she was unwilling to drop.”

So, I had hung up the phone and screamed from this side of the planet – “To hell with you”!

Do we bother to check with the other person before we complain to him nastily – that too early in the morning – if it is his b’day or wedding anniversary (Leave alone if he is in a hospital or graveyard)?

I am just asking, knowing it well, that we don’t …

But, if the other person lets us know that it is his 50th  b’day or wedding silver-jubilee, then?

I think, we are heartless morons if we keep playing our nasty broken-records!

So, today, early in the morning, I sent this message to my eleventh-standard student, Isha:
“Good morning Isha.
Please attend the class today at 9 am or 6.30 pm …
You had missed yesterday’s. Sir”

I forwarded this message to Isha’s mother, too, who is my FB friend.

I received an instant reply from Isha’s mother:
“Ok sir. Isha will attend at 6.30 pm. Thanks.”

All this happened before I left my house. When I reached my office at 8 and logged on to my computer, I noted that it was the b’day of Isha’s mom!

“Oh no!” I felt bad for the silly complaint I had made, early in the morning, about her daughter to Isha’s mom … Yes, when she, certainly, did not want to hear it from anyone …

I did not wait to do amends. I wrote:

“Happy b’day ma’am. I feel bad, that I sent, early this morning,
Isha’s message (complaint) instead of wishing you …
Really sorry. Have a great day and a year ahead. Love.”

Isha’s mom was quick:
“HAHA!! Thank you sir for the wishes.”

I was relieved … yes, when I did not hear from other side of the planet – “Go to hell.”

GERALD D’CUNHA

Comments

Unknown said…
How true.in our daily routine we tend to forgetvtgese small but important things.I for instance forget the birthdays anniversary etc of friends.but that little efforts to remember and wish helps develop long term relaationshio
Unknown said…
How true.in our daily routine we tend to forgetvtgese small but important things.I for instance forget the birthdays anniversary etc of friends.but that little efforts to remember and wish helps develop long term relaationshio
Gerald D'Cunha said…
Yes Srinath..' Thanks a lot. Love

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"WE CHOOSE OUR JOYS AND SORROWS LONG BEFORE WE EXPERIENCE THEM."

WHEN A BIRD IS ALIVE, IT EATS ANTS... WHEN THE BIRD DIES, ANTS EAT THE BIRD

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...