WHERE OUR GIVING COMES FROM






















“There are those who give with joy and that joy is their reward.
And there are those who give with pain and that pain is their baptism.”

-       Kahlil Gibran ( in ‘The Prophet’)

Two days ago, I wanted to gift the copies of our 2 new books to my friend and neighbour, Tabassum. As their house was locked, I left the copies at my place and asked my wife to hand over the same to Tabassum. Meanwhile, I had called Tabassum to inform about it, which she missed. Late last night, she reverted to check why I had called. When she learnt about the reason, she exclaimed, “How sweet of you sir, I will collect the books from Anima (my wife) when I come to your place tomorrow with Sheer Khurma.”

Tabassum’s family, being from the Bohra community, celebrates Eid festival a day in advance. So, today is their Eid… the day we get to relish the traditional delicacy, Sheer Khurma!

I was to leave home early today. So, when I told my wife about my late night conversation with Tabassum, her instinctive response was, “What shall I give in return?”

“Our two books,” I said without even blinking…

“That’s to read,” my wife said, “What to eat?”

Then, we both smiled…

Does Tabassum really expect something in return when she comes to offer Sheer Khurma? Why is that we are so conditioned to think that something ‘has to be’ given back in the plate or bowl? Do I expect anything in return when I go to offer my books to someone? Do they put something back in my hands? Does the gift of books any different from the gift of Sheer Khurma?

It all depends on where our ‘giving’ comes from…

Honestly!

Giving can be an ugly and meaningless act if it doesn’t come from a clean and holy space in our hearts… That’s why true giving – no matter what it is – is so filled with joy. Our compulsions and expectations can pollute this joy…

Eid Mubarak to all…



GERALD D’CUNHA


Pic.: KFoods. Com (Internet)

Video: YouTube

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...