THE GAP BETWEEN THE FOOT-BOARD AND PLATFORM














Many years ago, I used to display in my classroom a fresh inspirational quote every Monday morning. One of them was this:


“WANT TO EAT AN ELEPHANT?”

The quote was in big-bold letters. Below this quote ran a small line in very small letters… So small, that my students would curiously come closer to read it:

“Eat one spoon at a time!”

This quote had helped me convey to my students the importance of taking our ‘baby steps’ in life. The journey of thousand miles always started with one step at a time… The climb to the Mount Everest always began with one step at a time… Yes, if we learnt to eat one spoon at a time, we could finish eating an elephant, too!

Whenever I am overwhelmed by the magnitude of the work before me, I remind myself with this quote: “Hey, want to eat an elephant? Eat one spoon at a time!”

I learnt to eat the elephant called ‘English Speaking’ in the same way… by eating one spoon at a time… Slowly, steadily, consistently, persistently, patiently over a long, long period of time. There was simply no other way.


Today, in my training session, when I found many students overwhelmed by this elephant called ‘English Speaking’, I told them about the quote that always inspired me. “Start somewhere, with whatever small steps possible… It gains momentum.” Many of them commuted by local train. Hence, I asked them, “Before every station arrives, what is the recorded announcement you hear?”


Pudil station Dombivili. Kripya gaaditun utartaana gaadiche paidaan va falataavaril antaraavar laksh dya.

Agla station Dombivili. Kripya gaadi se utarte samay gaadi ke paidaan va platform ke beech ke antar par dhyan de.

Next station Dombivili. Please mind the gap between the foot-board and platform while alighting from the train.


They hear this announcement every day, before every station… In Marathi, Hindi and English. Can they not learn at least ‘this much English’ – a spoonful of it – at one time?

In every station of our life, there is always a gap between the foot-board and platform… and we need to mind it!


GERALD D’CUNHA

Pic.: Amrita Jeurkar


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...