HOW DIFFERENT WE ARE!













How different we all are! Many of us are as different as cheese and chalk!

I had an opportunity to grasp this truth, yesterday morning, during our Personality-development session. I had asked the young participants to write, at least one page, about themselves. “Feel free… Feel happy… Feel authentic as you write,” I had advised them, “Do not worry about any pattern, format or tradition. It has nothing to do with what you had learnt in schools… Just get in touch with your deepest thoughts, trust your thoughts and express your thoughts. No one is going to judge you… and no one is going to disapprove you. Be creative, be free and be happy and authentic as you write about yourself.”

Most of them were new to the session, with no past experience in writing and speaking. I had encouraged them to wipe out whatever experience they had in school while writing for the English subject. So, here they were, totally guided by their inner light… fearless and free.
I was pleasantly surprised when they went up on stage to present what they had written about themselves!

Each one of us is different. But, not until we get in touch with our deepest thoughts… trust them and express them!

As our young ones shared their thoughts about themselves, they ‘revealed’ themselves. Some were easy-going, some were serious… Some had a funny bone, some had a thin skin. But, nothing of this kind would have come to the fore had they not felt free to get in touch, trust and express their thoughts.


In my own case, the more I help young ones to get in touch, trust and express themselves, the more I realize that I am a very private person. I am more comfortable expressing through my writing than through my speech. On stage and in my classroom and sessions, even though I flow naturally and confidently, in casual circles, I find myself straining to express, while many around me are able to go on and on, endlessly.

Just a couple of days ago, two of my fellow-trainers and I, accompanied by the Principal of the college where we held our training, were returning home in a car. It was heavily raining and the traffic was dense… It took us more than an hour and a half to reach our place. What still puzzles me is how different I was from the rest! From the word ‘Go’, the Principal madam and my two colleagues got into casual discussion… They jumped from one topic to another, without a pause. I could hardly contribute anything… Whatever I did, I did as a response to what was asked me…

Was I doing it deliberately? Was it some kind of ‘attitude’ – ego, arrogance, indifference, lack of enthusiasm etc?

With all my honesty, I wish to confess: it was not.

When we parted our ways, we all parted gracefully and respectfully. I was in touch with what was happening inside me… My comfort came from the fact, that while others were wired to speak non-stop casually, I was not…

Yes, I was not… I was not!

To me, that was not only such a peaceful thought, it was so beautiful, too!

How different we all are!


GERALD D’CUNHA

Pic.: Kamal Kishore Rikhari



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...