THEY ARE BORN SHY... BUT, NOT DESTINED TO BE










“Hi Sir,” It was my student, the 17-year-old Namita*. She was a shy girl and rarely texted me, unless it was something important and urgent. So, seeing this crypt ‘Hi Sir’ message, I replied to her, “Hi Namita, want to say something?”

“Yes Sir,” Namita replied, “I read (your) today’s Blog. It’s so deep and amazing… It makes me write again.”

I was curious when I read what the young one was saying, “It makes me write again”.

I wrote, “Namita, why do you say ‘It makes me write again’?”

“Sir, I used to write in a private book,” explained the young girl, “but, my parents confiscated it!”

“HaHa… They must’ve got scared!” I teased the young one, “But, jokes apart, if your heart wants to express through writing, you should listen to your heart, and write.”


Writing our notes, literally, means baring our soul. I have been writing – I still call them my ‘scribblings’ – since I was this young girl’s age, 17. And, I remember why I started doing it: I was extremely shy in public, so full of self-doubts, deeply weighed down by my low self-confidence. I did not take part in any outdoor sports activities… I dreaded stage and never sang, danced or acted… It had affected my studies and inter-personal relationships. And, yet, I remember my heart longing to express… and say whatever it wanted to say. So, I started scribbling on every blank sheet I got – particularly on the ‘V’ of a greeting-card envelope… I was inspired by it the most… Words would simply flow over it!


What does a 17-year-old write in his/her private diary? Some sweet-nothings or some serious philosophy?

There is no one answer to this question… At least, in my view. It is not necessary that every young boy or girl should scribble in his or her private book something romantic and sentimental… I have seen them writing about Life, God, friendship,  heart-break, riots, rapes, joy, sorrow, death, sickness and, yes, very funny stuff, too… even, abuses!.

But then, a private journal is a private one; it is harmless. I, always, encourage the young ones to recognize this streak in them to express and go about writing it down – fresh, undiluted and authentic. I, also, encourage them to show it to their nearest and dearest ones, including their parents… “Win them over,” I remind the young ones, “They will trust you and feel proud of you.”


Writing heals. Yes, it’s very, very therapeutic. Only those who write their ‘personal notes’ in their private journals, know it.  The only thing that can spoil this healing process is our desire to prove ourselves to the world through our writings. No... There is nothing to prove to anyone anything through our writings. The only reason why we should write is: to prove to ourselves that no feeling in life is a waste… and, in every feeling is hidden that pearl of self-liberation, and of our personal happiness.

Today, the young girl had shown me a piece she had written lately… It’s so beautiful!

Maybe, that’s why the most beautiful things in life – including pearls and diamonds – always come concealed. They are born shy… but, not destined to be!

* Name changed

GERALD D’CUNHA

Pic.: Chetna Shetty

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...