WE SWIM IN A DANGEROUS SEA OF OPINIONS









“Opinions are the cheapest commodities in the world,” I had come across this line in a book when I was a new-comer in Mumbai (Bombay) and struggling to get a foot-hold here. The context was: what I wanted to do in life and what others thought I was capable of doing. The book I was reading was ‘Think and Grow Rich’ by Napoleon Hill… “Whatever the mind of man can conceive and believe, it can achieve.

I needed to hear this message desperately at that time; because, I was so full of self-doubts… and so full of low-confidence. In such a state, one was so susceptible to external voices: “No, you can’t do it… Give up.”

So, the advice of Napoleon Hill had come just in time. I quickly realized, that others’ opinion – no matter who those people are – was only their opinion… It’s their truth, their belief and their story. Not mine. I became almost immune to such gloomy, defeating prophecies… I began to focus on what was important and dear to my heart… If it was good and right for me and society, I started going ahead and doing it…

Today, after almost four decades, Napoleon Hill’s line comes back to make a fresh meaning. We, now, live in a time of instant click…Mindlessness and soullessness are rampant… We are so influenced by others’ opinions, that we have lost faith in our own inner light. Our sense of what is good and right - is skewed, tilted, corrupted. So, we feed our judgments and actions on fake or biased news, incessant forwards on social media, which are, often, full of falsehood and poison... Yes, we swim in a dangerous sea of opinions!

I have spent more than four decades in the field of teaching… Most of my students have been young ones, the college kids. I have seen them graduating and stepping into the responsible world… I have seen them, eventually, getting married and raising their own families… and, I have seen the cycle of education being continued. And, when I see the sea of cheap opinions all around me, I wonder: Have I really taught my students to go by their inner light and less by the opinions of others? Have I really taught them to be more proactive and less reactive in life? Have I taught them to be more constructive and less destructive? Have I taught them to love more and hate less?

Hope, I have…


GERALD D’CUNHA

Pic.: Chetna Shetty


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...