IN LOVE, NOTHING IS WRITTEN ON THE HARD ROCK










These two students of mine are in their final-year B.M.S. (Bachelor in Management Studies). Their college starts at 1:30 in the afternoon. So, at what time should they get up from their bed?

I have been teaching them Financial Accounts, Management Accounts and Taxation subjects over these three years. But, one thing I have not been able to teach them well: is the importance of managing their time well…

These two young men simply cannot come in time… Because, they simply cannot get up from their beds early. My gentle persuasion, firm instructions and even angry outbursts – yes, despite all these - my two boys are chilled about this issue.

“I will not tolerate,” I gave the ultimatum, yesterday, to my young ones, “even a single minute late.”

Well, as much as I blow hot, I, also, blow cold. I write nothing on the hard rock, nothing. I know they are capable of getting off their beds early, as they once did when they were little boys. For years, they did get off their beds early and made it to their schools before 7. They did that as little children - maybe, with a little nudging from their parents at home. But, now, these boys are young men… They are in their finally year of graduation… They are about to face campus interviews in a few months… They also plan to do MBAs. And, when I see them repeatedly unable to get off the beds early and keep their commitments, I blow it hot to them: “Sweethearts, if you cannot manage this simple thing about you, I wonder how you will manage companies tomorrow!”

They do not dispute what I say. For, they know, that what I say is a plain truth.

They have promised me, that they would be there, today, in time… “Not a minute late”!

And, what if they break their promise?

I am their teacher, and, I will blow hot and blow cold, again… I will not give up on them. But, certainly, I will not write it on the hard rock… I will write it on the sand…

For, I have changed many of my own bad-old habits…

And, I have faith in my young boys: They, too, will.


In Love, nothing is written on the hard rock… Yes, everything is written on the sand!


GERALD D’CUNHA

Pic.: Aparna Khanolkar Sheth


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...