WHAT'S YOURS, IT'S GOING TO BE YOURS...






















“What is destined will reach you, even if it be underneath two mountains.
What is not destined will not reach you, even it be between two lips.”
- An Arabic Proverb

I was watching an interview with an actress – a great dancer - of yesteryear. She was an outsider with no connections in the film industry. She did not look Indian and she did not speak Hindi at that time. But, she went on to carve a place for herself as a sensuous and graceful dancer. What surprised me the most was her outlook towards Life and Success. She said, “If you are a hard worker and if you are very sincere with your work, your destiny has to be good… So, that counts a lot. There are so many artists who are much-more talented than we are…They are struggling, and they are struggling all their lives. So, you need Lady Luck along with your hard-work and sincerity. It’s everything put together. In my case, everything just came my way. See, I will tell you this: What is yours, it’s going to be yours…  You will get it. What is not yours, it’s not going to be yours… You will  never get it. So, why bother? Be a good human being… Be happy, so that you make other people happy.”

The actress of yesteryear was Helen and she was talking to RJ Anmol for the Zee show ‘My Life, My Story’.

What we know of Helen is what we have got from watching her sensuous dances on the silver screen. So, when we get a piece of Life-and-Success philosophy from her, we are in for a pleasant surprise. Or, a rude disbelief!






But, let me tell you this: What Helen says in her interview makes a lot of sense to me. It’s the philosophy of trust and abundance… It’s, also, the philosophy of “Do your best and leave to God the rest.”

We can desire and dream with all our efforts, determination and patience. But, we have no control on the outcome of our efforts and hard-work…

That’s when we should have trust in the Universe. Yes, Universe, generally, conspires in our favour when we are clear about what we want in life…

But, then, we can never know what the Universe has in mind for us…

In Life, some things, no matter how hard and passionately we may work for, we shall never get. On the other hand, some things, we may get so effortlessly…

Some of us call it ‘Destiny’ ‘Luck’ or ‘Fate’. And, some of us just hate those words… “It’s we who decide and not our Destiny, not our Luck or Fate… We declare angrily.

I have done that and I still do. I know, that lying down lazily and expecting my Destiny to unfold, is, certainly, not my philosophy of Life and Success. I believe in setting my goals and working diligently and passionately towards achieving them. And, yes, I trust in the Universe and her ways… She provides; she conspires in my favour.

But, as Helen says in her interview, deep down in my heart, I know this: What is mine, it’s going to be mine… I ‘will’ get it, even if it be underneath two mountains. And, what’s not mine, it is ‘not’ going to be mine… I will never, ever get it, even if it be between my two lips…

Shall I put it this way: “In Life, I get only what I deserve.”


GERALD D’CUNHA

Pic.: Kamal Kishore Rikhari

Video: ZEE Classic

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...