THEY ARE CREATURES LIKE US, WHETHER WE AGREE OR NOT








My mom, who is 83, lives with my elder brother’s family in our native place, Mangalore. That’s the place where she is very, very comfortable… That’s the place she built from the scratch… That’s the place she lived with her husband, in-laws and all her five sons… That’s the place she feels deeply connected to, and, yes, that’s the place where she wants to spend her last years, too.

I and my youngest brother, Vivek, have settled, here, in Mumbai. Rony, my fourth brother, has settled in Kuwait.  A couple of times, when mom was more energetic, she had come over to our places and stayed with us for a few weeks. But, despite our ‘royal treatment’, she never felt she belonged here… She hated the idea of being confined within the four walls of these Mumbai houses – the ‘match boxes’. She couldn’t communicate in languages other than Konkani, Kannada and Tulu; and, here, she would never feel at ease meeting people who did not speak those languages. So, these days, she is simply unwilling to visit us… no matter what special event we want her to attend here. She politely, lovingly and respectfully says, “Son, it won’t be possible for me.” And, we all have learnt to accept her ‘No’ gracefully, and compassionately.

Back home, in Mangalore, the new house, which my elder brother has built, has a ground floor plus 1st floor. Mom and brother’s family live on 1st floor. Mom has been lucky not to have health issues like high B.P., Diabetes etc. She never liked to sit idle… Despite the washing machine at home, she would wash her own clothes, and, often, others’ manually on the washing stone… Putting those clothes for drying up on the terrace, bringing them back, folding them up neatly… there were a dozen chores like these that gave her a sense of control and belonging. One of the very, very important activities of our mom was - feeding our house dog. Wherever she was, attending whatever functions, she would worry about the dog’s food!

I remember my growing up days in our village. Every house had some land around it, and each house had its own dog. Some had one and some had more than one… These dogs were the local breed – not the ‘branded’ ones that we all love to raise, now, as pets at our homes. They were simple village dogs just like their simple masters. A dog was a must for every house for security… Dogs were very loyal and did a commendable security job. They ate our food, mostly, the left over. But, they were so happy with that… They had their own corner to sleep and, never ever, came inside the houses, leave alone sleeping under our blankets… But, they were very happy… And, importantly, we never felt guilty about treating them so…

But, as the living standards improved, with their stylish houses, people began to keep stylish dogs – an Alsatian (German Shepherd), a Pomeranian, a Doberman, a Poodle, A Labrador, a Boxer, a Bulldog, a Lhasa and the like. The village dogs, now, became ‘street dogs’ – the pariahs!


Why am I remembering, of all the things, dogs, today?

I read a news item yesterday, that a housing society in Navi Mumbai had dragged one of its residents to court for feeding the stray dogs within the society premises. As a resident of my own society – both, where I reside and where I work from – I have been conscious of this issue. There are stringent laws against cruelty to stays. We cannot dislocate them from where they are. So, even though we may face discomfort due to their presence in our societies, we all have slowly learnt to accept them as our own… And, some of us have a melting heart – and, we like to feed them.

It’s difficult to convince someone who cannot feel for these homeless dogs – that, they, too, are creatures like us… that, they, too, have hunger and thirst… they, too, have their sexual desires… they, too, have a deep need for affection… Yes, it’s difficult to make someone realize this.

I am not a typical dog-lover. Nor I am a typical dog-hater. I, only, feel very bad when Buzzo, the favourite dog of the society where I work from, comes and stands outside my office glass-door for a few Marie Gold biscuits. He is hungry and he is old and sick, too… He can’t speak as we do… So, he just comes and stands outside my door, and waits. What are my options? Scream, “Get lost from here?” Or, give him a couple of Marie biscuits and see him a little happier?

I am lucky, that almost all the residents of this society have embraced Buzzo as their own. Earlier, he would turn up, maybe, twice or thrice a day for the biscuits. But, now, I see him outside my door very frequently… He breathes very fast and his mouth says, “I do not have a lot of time left”. Well, he cannot speak, but I can understand his feelings… So, every Marie biscuit I offer to Buzzo goes to him with a silent prayer in my heart: “May what goes around, come around.”


GERALD D’CUNHA

Pic.: Internet


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...