CAN READING HABIT BE TAUGHT?

 




“The habit of reading is the only enjoyment

in which there is no alloy.

It lasts when all other pleasures fade.”

Anthony Trollope

 

Many parents keep making this request to me: “Sir, please tell my son/daughter to read.”

I smile. There are two reasons behind that smile… One: I did not cultivate the reading habit till I was in twelfth standard. Two: Most of the parents, who want me to tell their children to read, don’t read.

So, is there a ‘right time’ to cultivate this reading habit in life? Is it something that can be ‘taught’ to someone, particularly little children?

I am not a child psychologist; hence, I do not know whether or not reading habit can be ‘taught’. But, this much I know: each one has a personal reason as to why he or she reads books. Between the parents, one may swear by the books; the other may simply stay off them. Or, both may be fond of reading; but, not their children. Or, parents may not have touched books in their lives; but, their children may become voracious readers. Of the two siblings, one may love reading, the other may detest it…

They say, reading stories to little children ignites the thirst for reading in children. I have reason to believe, it does. As I said, my parents were too simple and unschooled, that they did not – and could not - read books to me when I was small. But, when I look back on those growing-up years, I can vividly remember some of the teachers who were great storytellers. In twelfth standard, the teacher who taught me English literature succeeded in igniting the thirst for reading in my heart. By the time I landed in F. Y. B. Com, the thirst to write well and speak well had become strong inside me, thanks to my idol, Prof. B. S. Raman… I wanted to teach like him, write like him. And, that was the definite point in my life: I spent lots and lots of time reading to grow… and self-develop.

 




No teachers ever nudged me to read, leave alone my parents or friends. I started reading because, I wanted to write well and speak well… And, the first book, which I kept reading for hours and hours sitting in our college library, long after the college hours, was ‘Write Better, Speak Better’ from Reader’s Digest. Our college library would not allow us to take it home; nor this book was available in the open market (I couldn’t afford to buy it either). So, I sat there in the library for long hours and read that book till late into nights. Many years later, here in Bombay, when I received my first salary from a temporary job, I bought a copy of that book, which I still possess.

Another thing that happened during my degree-college days goes on to prove the point which Paulo Coelho tries to make in his statement: “When you know what you want, the whole Universe conspires in your favour.” A friend of my aunt, Sr. Lawrence, travelled hundreds of miles from her convent to our humble home in Mangalore, just to present  to me a brand-new copy of ‘Webster’s Encyclopedic Dictionary’. Wow,  what a treasure that was for an aspiring writer and speaker! This one-of-a-kind encyclopedic dictionary had a special section called ‘Writers’ Guide’. I spent endless hours going through this treasure even after I migrated to Bombay. I still possess this treasure.

And, then, as I keep saying tirelessly, the book that transformed my life was ‘Think and Grow Rich’ by Napoleon Hill. I was reading this book when I was jobless and hungry, here in Bombay… I was reading it over and over[GD1  and over again. Alongside, I was reading every other book of Napoleon Hill, Dale Carnegie and Norman Vincent Peale… Those were glorious days of my life!

The floodgates had been thrown open, by now… I kept buying books and reading them… books of all genres – self-help, biographies, autobiographies, business books, fiction, poetry, almost every kind.

I will turn 64, come this July. I have written thousands of Blog posts… written/edited or published dozens of books for The Dawn Club… But, one thing I have not been able to do is this: make another human read!

Maybe, I have… Unwittingly.





 

GERALD D’CUNHA

 

Pic.: Paulo Coelho

Videoes: TEDx Talks


 [GD1]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...