HEADS-UP AND HEADS HIGH

 




“Don’t use a five-dollar word

when a fifty-cent word would do.”

Mark Twain

 

One of the advantages of being with young college-students – and also having a young son and daughter-in-law around – is, that I get to know many English words and expressions which are in vogue. I will not call them as some great vocabulary, but something that makes one feel like belonging to today’s world. Whether that word makes any sense or not is not at all important. Important thing seems to be this: Sound modern!

Chalo, one such word, which I have stated ‘receiving’ from young lot is - ‘Heads-up’! I did not know at all what this word meant till quite recent days. Obviously, I first heard it from my son and some of my students…

“I am giving you heads-up”… I slowly realized, that it meant: “I am telling you/informing you/warning you in advance.” Giving an advance notice, that is.

For instance, while leaving for work in a hurry, this morning, my dear wife said calmly, “I have to collect my outfits from my dress designer tomorrow… I am giving you a heads-up.”

I said, “Okay dear.” Which meant: “I will keep the money ready.”

And, my dear wife – who is not in her teens or twenties anymore – had picked up this rich vocabulary from our young son, obviously… Quite regularly, he had been giving us ‘heads-up’ for one thing or the other.

So, now, that word has become my own. It has nothing to do with its centuries-old origin in the military world: “Soldiers, ‘Heads up’… ‘Chins up’… The enemy is approaching… Be alert… Be alive… Be battle-ready…” and so on.

Who cares, whether it is an expression of the military world or an expression of this very civilian world? Who cares, whether it meant ‘be ready with the money’ or be ready with the confidence to fight? What one needs to truly care about is this: Keep the head high!

Otherwise, as Wiseman Goethe warned us, long time ago, the limits of our language will end up to be the limits of our universe.”

“Heads up!”





 

GERALD D’CUNHA

 

Pic.: pixabay


Video: Laurel and Hardy Forum

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...