OWNING UP IS GROWING UP

 



“The person who cares about the problem

owns the problem.”

Henry Cloud & John Townsend

 

If I had to describe, in one suitable phrase, my growing-up experience, it would be this: ‘Countless mistakes’!

I am being honest!

And, let me tell you this, with equal honesty: Many of those mistakes had come out of my poor self-image… I don’t remember holding a healthy self-image in my mind in my early years, particularly in my teenage years… It was very poor. It was only from my F. Y. B. Com days, I started dreaming about becoming a fine teacher and a writer – with that came a healthy self-image, and the desire to translate that image into a reality.

Frankly, that’s all one has to do to ‘grow up’…

Growing up, definitely, didn’t mean growing up into this 64-year self. I understand, today, that ‘Growing up means owning up’!

 




Well, I just said that to a young student of mine a while ago. It was raining heavily this morning… Some of my students messaged me asking me if they could join online as I was teaching offline… I agreed. But, as I was doing this offline-online juggling, I saw a couple of boys and girls (online) completely out-of-sync… The answers they were giving to silliest of my questions made them look too silly – in fact, too casual and  irresponsible. I got wild and made my feelings absolutely clear before them… The session ended up on a sombre  note…

As soon as the session ended, one of the boys, who had attended the online session and goofed-up, sent to me this message:

“Sorry, Sir for my lack of concentration in today’s class… I won’t let this happen again.”

I was dying to hear that from my students… I felt vindicated and relieved all of a sudden. I replied:

“Owning up is growing up, my young boy. It will help you.”





At the same time, I saw one more message. This young girl had recently migrated from Dubai and joined Class-12, CBSE, at one of the premier institutions in Mumbai. She had missed a lot of portion that was already taught in the institution. When she joined me, I, too, had completed a great deal of portion. But, then, I always found this girl to be very sincere and committed, full of initiative and enthusiasm… She always did things on her own, without relying too much on external help. Her first exam was scheduled for today. I had told her to face it with best of her abilities. Despite the heavy rains and water-logging all over Mumbai, her institution had gone ahead with the exam. Her message after the exam was this:

“Good Morning, Sir. Exam got over. I completed the paper. I got blanked out in between; so, I made silly mistakes. I tried my best; but, I am not sure of how much I will get. Sorry Sir.”

Sorry for what? This young girl was thinking, that she had let her teacher down. No, she hadn’t… She had made her teacher feel proud of her, and proud of himself… My reply was this:

“Dear….., even if you get less marks, to me, you are a committed and sincere student. Life only asks for it. Trust me. Marks are important; but, they are not everything. 

Love and care, always.”





Love and care for every student of mine…

 

GERALD D’CUNHA

 

Pic's: pixabay

 

Video: Spread Positivity

Comments

Unknown said…
Wow Sir...it's very thought provoking honest expression. It's not just applicable to students but to all of us who either working in corporate sector or running business houses. Thank you 🙏
Anonymous said…
I agree owning up is the confidence that you are in charge of life. Well said Sir. I hope all students will be able to gather much from this realisation.Thank you
Soumya said…
Well written Sir. I hope every student of yours reads this blog.

You are not just an accounts teacher. You are an inspiration for these youngsters.
Their way of life is very different from what it used to be and how it should be.






Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...