NOBODY IS DEPRIVED OF FOOD IN TEMPLES

 




“Throwing away food is like stealing food from the tables

of those who are poor and hungry.”

Pope Francis

 

I love good food. Yes, I, often, indulge in it… Eat more than what is required for my body and nourishment. Some of my friends keep consoling me, “Friend, it’s okay… Life is short… Make merry when it is there… Don’t feel guilty; don’t regret.”

Well, regret I would, when the excess food in my belly refuses to digest. That’s when I stare at the reality, that I am supposed to be eating to live, not living to eat.

Meanwhile, I am not writing this Post to highlight the merits and demerits of overeating. I am writing it to highlight the respect for food… The simple food.

The maid, who keeps my office and classrooms clean, has been helping me for over twenty-five years. She lives in one of the hutments, clustered along a nearby hill… ‘Dongar’, they call it. When an elderly woman has served you for over twenty-five years, it’s natural to have in her a deep sense of belonging. You treat her like your own; she will treat you like her own. Simple.

So, on her way to my place, my maid has to cross many small temples… Shiva, Hanuman, Sai Baba and so on. On the day of respective Deity, there is a langar - simple daal -chawal, or chole-chawal, rajma-chawal with two phulkas– served in the noon.

And, no matter how many times I have requested my maid not to carry food for me, she still does, and quietly keeps it in my office. Invariably, by then, I have finished my tiffin food which I have carried from home. She comes to work at my lunch break… Perhaps, she wants me to have, every day, bhagwan-ka-langar.

So, on my repeated requests not to carry langar for me, my maid skips it for days together. But, then, one fine afternoon, when you have already done with lunch, you see the quietly-covered God’s food: chawal and two phulkas with rajma or chole or daal. Perhaps, a pinch of pickle on the rice!

It has become difficult for me to stop my maid from bringing temple food for me, so regularly. Yes, at times, I eat it a few hours later, when I get hunger-pangs… At times, I keep the food in my mini office-fridge and carry to eat at home with my wife… and, many times, without my maid’s knowledge, I pass on the langar to our society watchman or mali. I can see how bright their faces become!

“Maushi, listen. At home, food is cooked every day. I carry my food from home, every day. This temple food should belong to those who are poor and hungry,” I told my maid, once again, today. “I know, you bring it to me out of love and respect. But, food should not be wasted… We should not deprive those who need it.”

“Nobody is deprived of food in temples,” my maushi told me, indicating, that no one should say ‘No’ to langar, even though it means, your stomach is already full; and, yes, whether you are a maushi or maushi’s boss!





Long live maushi!

 

GERALD D’CUNHA


Pic.: pixabay

 

Video: Complex Realities

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...