THE EARLY BIRD CATCHES THE WORM




“Trust thyself: every heart vibrates to that iron string.”

R. W. Emerson in his essay, ‘Self-reliance’.

 

I was introduced to Ralf Waldo Emerson’s inspiring essays through Napoleon Hill’s books. In his famous classic, ‘The Law of Success’, Napoleon Hill has separate chapters on topics such as ‘Initiative’, ‘Enthusiasm’, ‘Leadership’ etc. What hit me the most, at the young age of 21, when I was reading this book over and over again (alongside his ‘Think and Grow Rich’) was the idea called ‘Initiative’. I learnt, that it’s the personal quality of an individual to do tasks without being told… doing them without looking at the watch… doing them for not money alone… It’s going the extra-mile to do them and, above all, do them with a great deal of self-reliance.

As I said, at an age of 21, when one gets to grasp the importance of these personal qualities, one, also, realizes how it helps to build his personal leadership.

I learnt, early, that through these qualities, I was in a better position to achieve whatever I was dreaming to achieve in my life. My dreams were simple: to be a good teacher and a writer… and, through this medium, to make difference in not only my life, but also in the lives of many, many students I would be teaching.

Did I achieve that?

I am asking this question at age 64… after having taught and written for over four decades.

Not many young men and women realize the importance of self-reliance, which Emerson deals with in his essay, ‘Self-reliance’, so much in depth. The so-called ‘best schools and colleges’ – which are affiliated to the so-called ‘world-class Boards’ – cannot inculcate Self-reliance in young kids. I am of the opinion, that self-reliance is a personal quality, and can be cultivated by the kid only on its own…

It's the fire in kid’s belly…

It’s the love and reverence for life…

It’s the desire to make the difference is self and others.





On Friday afternoon, a gentleman came to enquire about his daughter’s admission (eleventh-standard) in my classes. I learnt, that he worked for a local enterprise and had chosen the lunch-break to come and see me. I was just concluding the class that was underway. In the interim time, I provided all the necessary information, including the fee structure, and requested him to decide by the same evening as I was to teach some new students the next day. (I had started the sessions for others some two weeks ago and I had to catch up). As I always do, I gifted three of our inspirational books, with no strings attached, but with the belief, that they would be read by someone or the other at home…

Late in the evening, I remembered that I was to take a few students (whose parents couldn’t afford the regular fees) charging a much lower fees. So, I communicated this news to the gentleman; and, last night, he enrolled his daughter by paying off the fees. I scheduled an online class for 11 am today.

I hadn’t met, seen or spoken to this young girl before. She connected online at the scheduled time. I taught the initial concepts of ‘ Book-keeping and Accountancy’ to her for more than an hour. I found her very enthusiastic and responsive… I saw the eagerness to learn and ability to grasp quickly. While concluding the session I said, “Beta, I am very happy, that you showed lots of interest and ability to grasp fast. Please keep it up. Well-begun is half-done.”

Even before I could shut down my laptop, I saw a message on my phone:

“Thank you so much, Sir for making this subject this easy. I really enjoyed it much; and found it easy to understand by the way of your teaching. Thank you so much, Sir.”

Obviously, I felt a lot good about myself. At 64, after over four decades of teaching thousands of students, here was I – longing to hear a young kid to tell me, from a clean space of her heart, “Sir, you teach so well… Thank you.” I quickly replied:

“So sweet of you to express your feelings, so honestly, beta. It shows your self-confidence and character. God bless you. Stay self-motivated, focused and determined, always. Stay less dependent on outside support, like coaching classes etc. They may take away your precious initiative. Regards and best wishes.”

Will this 16-year-old achieve her own dreams in life?

I had asked the same question to myself at 21… Yes, while reading – over and over again - Emerson’s essay on ‘Self-reliance’ and the chapter on ‘Initiative’ in Napoleon Hill’s’ ‘The Law of Success’.






'The early bird catches the worm', they say.

 

GERALD D’CUNHA

 

Pic's.: pixabay

 

Video: Motivational Stories

Comments

Raghavendra B G said…
Inspiring thought for self reliance life. Thank you Sir!

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...