LEJA MERA NAAM, LEJA MERA KAAM

 



“We delight in the beauty of the butterfly,

but rarely admit the changes it has gone through

to achieve that beauty.”

Maya Angelou

 

I did not know who this singer, by the name Justh, was, nor did I know about his song – ‘CHOR’. It was early this morning, that I learnt about the song and the singer, both.

It was while looking for a meaningful song to use for the picture story of our 2023 summer-program.

My ex-student, Satnam, who is a creative young man, helps me every year to make a catchy story out of some 100-odd pictures shot during our summer certification-programme (Personality Development programme conducted by The Dawn Club Centre of Excellence). Like any other creative young one, Satnam is ‘busy with doing nothing’ – which means, he is flooded with a million dreams in his head (Here, I am using a paradox). Hence, I don’t push myself to get him do our ‘honorary’ work… I understand such headspace… which, to the world looks so weird, so often. The writers, singers, painters, poets, film-makers, and every other creative person – yes, they all long to be ‘free’ to create what they yearn to. Let me tell you, in Robert Frost’s words, that it’s ‘the path not taken’. If you are a creative soul, you have to take/make your own path… And, take it: this path is seldom smooth… It is uncertain, bumpy, scary!




So, finally, today, Satnam will be coming to my place to help me put together this picture story. I have promised him, that I shall be selecting the background song, before he comes. Since last evening, I shortlisted many songs, both English and Hindi… closed on two, by late last night… and, early this morning, I chanced upon this song ‘Chor’ by Justh…

My search was over!




What a song! What lyrics! What a music! And, above all, what a depth and simplicity! …

I have already played it a dozen times… and for several reasons, that is.

I am sure, every one finds the song special and haunting for his/her own reason. Whether you are a creative person, a householder, a monk or just any one, I am sure, it would haunt you for a long time.

I want my son and wife to listen to it… I want my friends to listen to it… I want my students to listen to it… I want the young and the old alike listen to it…

There is meaning in it… and, that meaning is going to be what you make out of it…



So, let the ‘thief’ rob you of everything… tell him -

‘Meri jeet bhi leja, meri haar bhi leja

Mera dar bhi leja, mera ghar bhi leja

Mera khwaab bhi leja, mera raaz bhi leja

Mera gham bhi leja, har zakham bhi leja

Meri zaat bhi leha, auqaat bhi leja

Meri baat bhi leja, halaat bhi leja

Leja meri, jo bhi dikhe, jo na dikhe

        Woh bhi leja…

 

GERALD D’CUNHA

Pic’s: 1. timesofindia.indiatimes.com 2. Pixabay

Videos: 1. Justh 2. jist

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...