FOCUS ON WHAT MATTERS

 




“Things which matter most should

never be at the mercy of things which matter least.”

Johann Wolfgan von Goethe

 

Early in the morning, a couple of days ago, my eyes fell on this book recommended on a digital-marketing site:

 


 

I loved the title – ‘FOCUS ON WHAT MATTERS’. It seemed, as though the author had written the book exclusively for me! So, instantly, I remembered a dear friend and a well-wisher, and wanted to share how I was feeling. I texted to him:

“Good morning … The title of this book reminded me of you… Thanks for helping me to get out of that ‘s..thole’!”

One can imagine how ‘dirty’ that word was… I did not say that ‘world’… ‘that place’.

By the way, which place am I talking about?

In life, any place can be a ‘s..thole’ when staying there only makes life unpleasant, dirty, destructive…

You see, we all make choices in life only as per our given level of awareness. So, you and I will never get into any s..thole with our eyes open. But, once into it, there is another choice to be made by us – continue to be there, or get out of it…

I am sure, you are able to see some of the s..tholes you may presently find yourself in. Let me tell you this, from my own experience: In life, it’s easy to get into s..tholes, but tough to get out of them!

Often, some good friend – a real well-wisher – is required to point to us the s..thoes we are in, and to tell us, pointblank, that s..tholes are not the places you and I need to spend our time and energies in… And, often, we need to be pulled out of them!

My friend and well-wisher had done that to me, many years ago… “You and your family should be your first priority,” he would keep reminding me, “Focus on what matters, not on s..tholes!"

 



REFLECTION:

In life, our unpleasant choices may put us in unpleasant places. Recognizing that realty and taking responsibility for our choices are  the first two steps to come out of those unpleasant places. Our regrets, blame, self-pity, complaints and anger – yes, these are reactive things, which only make the place more unpleasant, more ‘s..tty’…

We need to heed to the good counsel – and just get out…

Focus on what matters…




GERALD D’CUNHA

Pics.: Pixabay

Video: Vanny Vabiola

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...