THE CRITICS

The podium is, really, a lonely place. You may be a speaker or a lecturer, but when you stand there - you stand there, alone. Whenever I find my students insensitive to this reality, I make them aware of it. "Do you know how lonely this place is?" I ask them anguish writ large on my face. "You will know it, only if you come and stand here."

Most of the times, that works. Their faces show the transformation. But, there are times, it doesn't. Being vulnerable, only backfires. I still remember an episode.

Manish and Gaurav had been giving me a tough time, for some time. For no reason, they would comment, make the atmosphere loose and put some innocents students into trouble. And, that would continue for months, in spite of my requests, and even warnings. They would make even my warnings sound like some jokes, and extract laughter out of them.

That was the time I would become wild.

"You are going to invite trouble for you," I would caution them.

They would still think I was joking.

"You are forcing me to do something which I don't like doing," I would yell.

"Then, why don't you do it?" Their body language would challenge me.

So, provoked and hurt, I would drag them to the center stage, and shout, "Stand here for ten minutes and see what it takes to do that. I will take your seat."

Forget ten minutes. Within two minutes, the only thing that would not happen was they wetting their pants! When others gave them the taste of their own medicine, I would simply watch. "You bullies, you will either learn now, or never." I would tell in my wounded heart.

That weapon I hated to deploy before my students. I had a greater responsibility towards them : to help them transform. It was expected of me to show an unusual amount of restraint, maturity and strength. I, therefore, always opted for the 'gentle and firm' route. Never that of aggression.

But, then, even Jesus Christ had resorted to whipping and ransacking in a temple, to flush out the rogues. Even Mahatma Gandhi had been brute, some times, to his wife and sons.

I never regretted my action.

Gaurav left my class. Manish became my friend.

Why do I write about this ten-year-old episode, today?

Because, critics some times, behave like that. They misuse their position, their power. They destroy, not only business, they ruin reputation as well.

Yesterday, I read a book review on a reputed business magazine. The reviewer, a lady, had slaughtered the author in the cruelest manner one could imagine, right from the word go. It was sadistic, to say the least. The author of the book, a respected consultant, with many previous books to his credit, does not need this lady's certificate to prove his credibility. Still, I put myself in his place, and bled.

A friend of mine, Giri, showed his disgust in another manner: He immediately shot an e-mail to the editor of this 'reputed' magazine. "Are you sleeping when you edit?" he asked him bluntly.

Once, I watched Mrs. Indira Gandhi answering a crowded press conference. "Doen't it reflect poorly on the credibility of your government," the nasty reporter had pricked her. "With due respect, may I know the credibility of your news paper."

The bully needed a 'Kali' to tone his tone!

So many times, our cricket players just have to pocket the 'insult' - not criticism - hurled upon them by all those air-conditioned-room-bound commentators. It is easy for these commentators to play to the gallery - entertain - my making their nasty comments. Some of them had never played cricket in their life, or been pathetic players themselves. How coolly, today, they sit on a judgement seat and and tarnish the reputation of young players!

The irony is that, they get paid nasty sums for their 'nastiness'!

Ditto for all those film critics. Once, I read what Kay Kay Menon said in an interview:

"A critic is a person who leaves no turn unstoned."

There are good critics, there are bad critics, and there are corrupt ones, too. And, that is as in any walks of life. It is a 'job' and a job done for money, fame and power. The same motive, the same drive, and the same ambition.

Yes, angels do not write reviews; they do not become critics. It is only one of us!

Let us take heart!

"I was a huge fan of Khalid Mohammad. I used to long to read his film reviews on TOI on every Sunday," a lady told me some months ago. "But, the day I saw his own first film, I lost faith in whatever he had to say, then on!"

There are 'professional' critics for every thing, today. Yes, for every thing under the sun. There and critics for critics ... I may be one of them, today ... doing my job all free of cost!

Hello, can you take the brush from M.F.Hussain and paint those horses? He is going to be 100, soon.

If you can, comment on his work. Other wise, take a chill-pill and leave the old man alone.


GERALD D'CUNHA

Comments

Unknown said…
Sir, read both these articles (this one and the Little Nuts) and enjoyed them both. Its really great to see the 'fire in the belly' still so strong in you after all these years. Here's wishing you and the Dawn Club the very best in the years ahead - may you ignite the quest for self discovery in more young minds
Gerald D'Cunha said…
Hey Rohan,
Great to hear from you.
Must be busy ... a few days are left for marriage. Everything will go fine, relax.

Yes, the fire is still there. As they say, one should die with his boots on!

Do read our blogs. Do comment. It will keep us going.

As I told you, we have some big plans for The Dawn Club. We all need to come together. I will let you know, later, in what way.

With all the good wishes,

GERRY

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...