MY SIMPLE GOD

On the night of this Christmas, I had a strange dream. In the dream, I saw myself in a party. There were about thirty of us. There was music, dance, drinks, food and merriment. Everyone seemed to enjoy it, except me. Because my mind was caught in the web of comparison, that night. Like a video man's camera, my mind kept shifting its focus from one person to another in that room. And, suffered.

"I can not dance like Ivan and Betty," my mind complained. "How, spontaneous, how graceful they are!"

"Novel and Nora move around in the crowd with elan," my mind noted. "They look so confident."

Brian sang and Stany played guitar. "Every one went ga ga over them; they can make even a passive crowd come to life." my mind reasoned.

Lancy was the emcee. "Wow, what a vivacious man he is! He can tickle our funny bone, make us smile,laugh and even feel young. I can never do that," I was restless.

"Look at these couples - Prem and Priya, Nelson and Merlin, Rohan and Stella, Mac and Clera, John and Rose ... they can be so lively in party discussions. Look, how comfortably they hop from one subject to another ... They seem to be so well informed," my mind was telling. "I get tongue-tied after two minutes. I just run out of ideas, and struggle for words."

"Jimmy and Rita come about so sophisticated."

"Navil and Diana are so easy going, and open."

"Max and Sheeba look stunning even in such casuals."

"And, there, even Fr. Rian is able to make heads turn."

Every one is not just fine, he and she are great!

It is Christmas. The night my Lord was born. Such a simple God ... born in a manger, to a carpenter father and a simple village woman. We were there to celebrate the birth of this God. Yes, we - His followers. What an irony! My mind was caught in the worst kind of web - the web of comparison. The most sophisticated, the wealthiest and the highly learned men and women - in fact two-third of the world - follow this God, who was nailed almost naked, like a criminal. I was there in that party, on the Christmas night, only looking at the mortals, His followers ... and unable to see this truth: My Lord was epitome of simplicity; yet the most powerful, and most inspiring one!

The mind was caught in the web of comparison. It was suffering.

It was the Christmas night. And, it was a strange dream ... almost, scary.

Then, the bells began to chime, and the skies began to open, and a white angel appeared. He said:

"Hark! The Lord, the Christ, has asked you to write all that you feel and as it is."

Then, the angel disappeared. I woke up ... and wrote:

"And, my Lord wants me to write; and, I CAN!"

It was a strange Christmas. It was a strange dream ...

And, strange are His ways of touching us ... Of making us feel special, worthwhile and confident.

HE ... My simple God.


GERALD D'CUNHA

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...