OYE LUCKY

Normally, I do not decide to watch a movie, by the ratings of the critics. Because, I have been mislead by them too many times in the past. On the other hand, whenever I have sneaked into a cinema hall, without anyone having washed my brain, or just by default, I have thoroughly enjoyed that movie.

After the depressing one week, last evening, I really wanted to watch a light movie. Of all the Bollywood movies currently being screened around, I chose 'OYE LUCKY ... LUCKY OYE' to ease out my pressure and bring a smile back on my face. After all, the critics had given 3 1/2 stars for it, while all other movies had never made it beyond two. So, once again, I fell prey to the critic's verdict, and, along with my wife, settled down to watch this movie.

Till the interval break, neither of us could make where lay the head and where the tail of this 'Oye Lucky'. Instead of easing out my pressure and depression, it added an additional load to it. So, the moment the lights came up in the break, my wife shouted, "Oye, let's leave."

For once, we were in agreement; and, that too, perfectly!

"How can they make dud movies like this?" I voiced before her my irritation on our way back home.

"What funny things do people find in them to laugh?" my wife added.

"Maybe, the thought: How dud we all can be!", I declared.

At home, our son was surprised to see us so early. "What happened?" he asked.

"Faaltu," my wife reacted, "We left half-way."

"Oye, I warned you not to go," screamed our son. "I am Lucky."

He was.

I was thinking:

Why do we expect a funny movie to do away our gloom?

Can a movie do it?

Or, are we just trying to escape from our realities ... Sitting in the darkness and trying to laugh ... and pretending to be free from our problems?

Is the mind capable of being simple and light?

Can a mind, preoccupied with analysing and judging, be ever, truly, laugh?

At the dinner table, we all found ourselves thinking about our 'misadventure' and laughing. The movie couldn't make us laugh; our own silliness could. Son was teasing us, constantly, with 'Oye ...', and we were not throwing any resistance, were not taking anything offensively or seriously. Mind did feel light, and gloom did seem fading.

"You should have left your brains at home, when you went to see it," our son seemed to have the maximum thrill.

"Good," I said, and remembered my friend Bipin, who never watches movies in the theatres, no matter how good they are. Once, after watching 'Tare Zamin Par' three times in the Multiplexes, I had asked him: "Have you watched TZP?"

"Paagal hoon kya?" Bipin had responded. "Paisa dekhe Kyun rohneka?"

Oye Lucky, kyun?



GERALD D'CUNHA

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...