A FREE TRIP

I had heard about a 'Free Lunch'. But, never about a 'Free Trip'.

This July, I will complete 51. And, with that, I will also complete an equal number of trips around the sun ... and, all free!

And, I did not know about this!

Macklin, my nephew, today gave this 'good news' to me. Yes, in his comment on my yesterday's post - 'It Isn't That Bad'. He had written: "Life isn't that bad, in deed. In includes a free trip around the sun, every year ... Doesn't it?"

It does, Macklin. And, what a dumb man I have been. Blind, to be precise.

Every thing is taken for granted. My breathing, for example. It happens on its own, without any efforts from my end, without any charges to be made. Franky uncle was there in Bombay Hospital for nearly three months; almost for this entire period, in ICU. His children had to cough up over fifteen lakhs ... just to keep uncle breathing!

A night's electricity costs me quite a lot. Some pay it to keep themselves warm, some to keep themselves cool, and others pay so that they can see, function. Yet, the great heater called Sun, and those merciful seasons, all go unacknowledged, unthanked.

Rain comes and fills our lakes, rivers and streams. But, who pays? Who cares?
Yet, for some one who fills the bottles, buckets and pots in our houses, we don't mind paying by our nose.

Unless some one bills us for his services, we do not appreciate them. Never.

The heart has to skip some beats, or cross its speed limits. Then, we realise, there is something called a 'heart' inside our body.

The breeze has to come to a standstill, or start pounding us with a hurricane, a cyclone. Then, we start respecting it.

The river has to send a an angry deluge, and the sea has to erupt with a monstorous tsunami. Then, we turn towards them with gratitude, and repentance.

We have come here, on this planet, without a Passport or Visa. Yes, with a free entry. So, we expect our existence, here, to be all free of charge. We think, we are 'entitled' for this joy ride called 'Life'.

And, unless we are jolted out of this illusion, unless 'Someone' threatens to take away all this 'free stuff' from us ... yes, unless such time comes, we take them for granted.

Like I did, till my young nephew Macklin reminded me, today, of this 'free trip' that I have been making around the magnificent sun, for over fifty-long years ...

All without paying any fare, or attention. Or, due respect.

Thank you, dear. For jolting me out!


GERALD D'CUNHA

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...