HAPPY NEW YEAR

"Happy New Year." It was our maid. She was the first one to wish me, in person, this morning.

2009 had begun.

"Happy New year," I fumbled ... Humbled by her 'initiative'.

I realised, the 'new year' had nothing to do with - who you are. It was 'new' for every one.

Just before she was to leave, I opened the the Christmas-sweets box. There were quite a few sweets still left, and still fresh. My wife can not have them; she is a diabetic. My son doesn't have them; he dislikes sweets. That leaves me. I have a weakness for them. Which means, I won't mind hogging them for another week, till there is some trouble in my stomach and chest!

I packed all of them in a container and said, "Bhai, yeh aap ke liye."

We had already given her on the Christmas day. So, she took it with a great deal of surprise.

As she was having her tea, I placed two cookies before her in a small plate. She quickly packed them. I replaced them with two more, so that she could have it along the tea. You know, she starts her morning from our house. She packed this one, too!

Then, she left.

I smiled, and began to shake my head. My mind went back to our childhood days.

Whenever there was a gathering in the village - a wedding, or a month's mind mass, or some one's golden jubilee - like so many other village women did, my mother, too, would not eat her share. She would bring it home, for her five sons!

Even I did it, as a child, for some years ... till I began to feel a bit 'self-conscious'. I brought it to my parents and brothers.

Today, when our maid tucked every thing inside, I knew: it was for her children; and, may be for her husband and in-laws. I truly 'felt' the 'happiness' from her wishes:

"Happy New Year."


GERALD D'CUNHA

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...