TWENTY-FOUR HOURS

"Even Bill Gates has only twenty-four hours in his day. Not a neno-second more."

This is how I remind myself, time and again, when I tend to hide my inefficiencies with that universal excuse: "I have no time." I drill a big hole in my head, and fill this: "Buddy, even the richest man on earth made his billions, only with twenty-four hours."

"Did you read the book I gave you?" I ask some one.

"Not yet. I didn't find time," is his reply.

Now, he did not read that book, not because he didn't find time; but, because, I had given that book 'free' to him. Had he bought it, on his own, I am sure, he would have found the time to read it.

Because, we make time for all those things, that we 'choose' to do; the things we love.

Did I call my mom on her wedding anniversary?

No, I didn't. I don't even know the date.

Does it mean, I love her less.

She would be definitely emphatic: "No".

I do not remember the date, because, I have not attached a lot of importance to that; I haven't made it as my priority ... and, found my own ways of remembering her for all the good things she has done for me.

Fortunately, she understands all this, and never cribs.

Yet, look at this. This simple soul, with her advanced age, still remembers when comes the birthday not only of her five sons, but also of her five daughters-in-law as well as eight grand children. That is her way of remembering us, loving us; that is her 'value'.

Our mind has enough storage capacity for all the stuff we love, we value. The twenty-four hours the God has given us is long enough to fit in all the tasks that our hearts long to perform. It is only the stuff we do not love, do not value, that finds no storage place in our minds. Likewise, the day can never accommodate a thing which we do not love, do not value as important.

Rest is all a lame excuse.

You know it; I know it ... and, even my buddy - Bill Gates. The richest man on earth.


GERALD D'CUNHA

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...